Concrete/Cement Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanmb

I am looking for a easy-to-clean substrate/flooring that does not have a risk of impactions (loose substrate like sand) and cant get caught around my beardie’s toes (reptile carpet). I’ve heard about ceramic tile being good, and I really like how easy it would be to spot clean with a baby wipe.

I had an idea to pour some outdoor cement into a thin layer in the bottom of the tank, then sprinkle sand on top to give it a grittier texture. Would the concrete get too hot? Would it be too hard on my beardie’s feet? I’m getting a baby beardie if that helps.

Thanks! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Loosely laid ceramic floor tiles are your best bet .

Any soiled tiles can be lifted out very easily and taken out to get a blast with garden hose.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I second the tile.

Personally I have shelf liner as one solid layer under my tiles (Terra Cotta tiles), since poo can sometimes leak between the tiles. Also shed scales and some random chips from her climbing logs eventually create a little mess that gets between the tiles. Even plain shelf liner can work fine as one easy surface to clean. Tiles also buff down the nails naturally so they don't get super too long or sharp, that has been nice for handling and she doesn't have to have her nails trimmed which is a pro for my dragon too

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I too have slated ceramic tiles in my tank but I have a thick paper towel under the tile to catch the watery urate and to keep from soaking into the tile under neath -- works great ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like tile too, but to answer your question you could do what you're suggesting if you wanted to also. I wouldn't sprinkle any sand on top though. The cement will have enough texture to it.

Cement and concrete are very different though. Concrete would probably hold up better.

But, I'd go with tile personally.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":1qlktsdm said:
I too have slated ceramic tiles in my tank but I have a thick paper towel under the tile to catch the watery urate and to keep from soaking into the tile under neath -- works great ---
Karrie

I have some of my tiles covered with 2 or 3 layers of absorbant paper towels - just makes it easier to clean up .

hanmb

Original Poster
Are loose tiles better than those that are permanently sealed to the enclosure (with grout and such)? Tumbled Travertine tiles look like nice ones at Home Depot. Are those the right kind?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some people prefer fixed tiles. I like using loose tiles because I can lift them out to clean/bake them and clean underneath. Not a huge issue if the tiles are sealed. They do make the enclosure much heavier so that's something to consider too. I use two 18x18'' ceramic tiles (not glossy). There are a lot of good options available though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Mine are laid in there loosely for me to pull and clean- they are cut to the size of the tank going wideth wise -- and I use slated ceramic tile that came from Home Depot-- I think it was $13 to tile a 120 gallon tank
Karrie

hanmb

Original Poster
KarrieRee":5n19p0xn said:
Mine are laid in there loosely for me to pull and clean- they are cut to the size of the tank going wideth wise -- and I use slated ceramic tile that came from Home Depot-- I think it was $13 to tile a 120 gallon tank
Karrie

Does Home Depot cut the tiles for you? Or did you have to cut them yourself? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make my tank the best it can be for my new baby

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It depends on the store- I have heard some do ours here do not-- we have a tile cutter so my husband cut them-- call your stores if you have a Lowe's or other home improvement in your area I would call and ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom