haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
I understand if get removed after this ? but I had a weird dream that JIMMIA had naughty time with one of these lizards, they are called Thorny Devils haha ?
98861-8157625338.jpg
98861-8018333451.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Now that is such a little cutie pie, I love that! He reminds me of the horny toad lizards found
in the Oklahoma & Texas regions mostly.
Where are you located?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
They eat ants too.

Wonderful little dragons, very very difficult to keep in captivity.

I know of only 2 or 3 keepers who have them in their collections and no one who has successfully bred them in captivity to date .
Thing is they are very particular about the ant species they will eat and the keeper has to maintain 3 or 4 viable and large captive iridomyrmex ants nests to keep these little dragons fed ( who will eat several thousand ants each day , every day , 365 days per year ).
NOT EASY to do if you are outside the natural range of these dragons.

I think Gosford Reptile Park and one or two other reptile parks ( one near Darwin , other near Cairns (?)) have some of them on display.
Melbourne Museum has some kept as captive live display animals too.

Range of Thorny Devils
thorny-devil-range.png

https://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid:biodiversity.org.au:afd.taxon:fef067d7-658f-49ae-accb-c71fde230af0

The one's I've encountered when doing my 4x4 safaris have all been loners and they don't seem to fear humans ( likely never seen a human before me ) , you can literally walk up and pick them up , and they have an odd slow gate when walking .

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":6ekz6lbn said:
Hello,

Now that is such a little cutie pie, I love that! He reminds me of the horny toad lizards found
in the Oklahoma & Texas regions mostly.
Where are you located?

Tracie

they’re called Thorny Devils, they’re located throughout the bush land of Australia, it’s something you would find in the dry remote area and they can eat up to 1000 ants per meal, so it be a hard pet to have :) https://www.bushheritage.org.au/species/thorny-devils

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
They are a very important totem animal in central regions aboriginal tribal lore and traditions (cave paintings, dance and songs).

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Well shut my mouth and call me Cornpone; I always thought horned lizards were specific to North America, but sure enough... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorny_devil

Can't say I'm not just a little jealous; the Oz variety is (IMO) more... (can't find the word, but more colorful as well) than our North American species! :mrgreen: (In this case, the green is envy--not sarcasm :wink: )

Cute l'il bugger; too bad they're all (except Phrynosoma asio) exclusively ant snarfers! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom