Pancake & the Hooman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Pancake is my first reptile, and he has me completely wrapped around his little scaly feet, I thought the idea of having a place to start documenting Pancake's journey with me would be fun, so here we go~

For our first entry, we will begin with the power outage last week. All went well, and after running around on my bed for a good half hour Pancake got a little less squirmy and settled for snuggling in his dino blankie.

Pancake: Ummm HOOMAN NOOO.... I tried to squirm away but then you put the lightbox in front with lizards on the screen and it made sounds and I was hypnotized!!

96854-315431352.jpg

...AKA... I played How To Train Your Dragon on my laptop and it caught Pancake's attention pretty quickly :lol:

And part way through the movie he made a little burrow and had a power nap

96854-6495580054.jpg

Pancake: And then I woke up 5 minutes later to climb up my hooman's tree branch arms (but they're really more like fat twigs).

But as for some other Pancake moments...

96854-2817905965.jpg
Pancake: New hooman, I do not know who you are but I will offer a smole smile in exchange for crickets.
This was around January 9th, in his old tank, three days after coming home.

96854-9804566749.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, do not worry! Am here!!

The tank that got dropped off with my precious baby was an absolute mess, complete with some cracked glass that we couldn't get a replacement for, so my parents bought me a very early Christmas present of a new tank for Pancake around January 18th. I moved all of his accessories over to make his move easier, and of course he was thankful to have his beloved bathing bowl (the water is extremely shallow, barely up to his ankles) and decided to hide in it. I panicked because at first I couldn't see him anywhere in his tank, but when I started calling for him, up popped Pancake's little head :p

96854-7748638945.jpg
Pancake: *ahem* Hooman, now is time for cuddles!! Not the lightbox!

Towards the end of January, Pancake started to get quite comfortable around me, which I was shocked at as he was very shy when he was first home. But alas, he also became more demanding :lol: While he was running around in his playpen, I decided to work on some homework. Well, he got a bit grumpy and decided to prevent any further essay writing until I picked him up and let him snuggle into my hair lol.

96854-1707843813.jpg

I love how gold his eyes are <3

96854-9978907662.jpg
96854-1398905088.jpg
Pancake: Hooman, this is satisfactory, now pls leave me to basking.

This is the newest addition I've bought him, and Pancake definitely seems to like anything climbable lol. When I compare these two pictures (most recent) to what I remember he looked like when he was left at my work, he's starting to fill out a bit more. I'm worried that he might still be a bit small, especially compared to other beardies on here, but his appetite and energy levels have definitely picked up.

This is probably such a long post by now, but I just adore my little guy with all my heart.

More Pancake & the Hooman on the way~

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":1sdmg5si said:
Hooray!!!! Glad the meds are done and the fecal was clear! Yes, thank you - I'm sure I saw the notification the other day. Your dogs are adorable, too :0)
Isn't it wonderful to be owned by so many lovely pets?

Thank you! They're just as spoiled :lol: Your birds are super pretty! It really is, I don't know what I'd do without pets

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
...I think Pancake is reaching a level of self-awareness...

When he was enjoying his explore time outside of his tank yesterday he paused to look around, then randomly turned and became fascinated with his knee?? :lol: He licked it then turned back around and started staring and tilting his head back and forth while looking at his front feet. He licked one of his feet and then went back to running around. Has anyone else's beardie done this? Or is Pancake just becoming more of a weirdo? LOL

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I AM BACK.

I was trying to take super cute pictures of Pancake outside in June when his beardie glare got so intense that it broke the camera in my phone :shock:
96854-6241067578.jpg
The final photo before my phone was tragically ruined

... Okay maybe it was just because of the heat outside, but I just got my phone back and will be back to posting cute pictures!

As for some other Pan related updates, he has finally reached 300g!! I am so happy. Although he is shedding a lot, and doesn't seem very happy about it. He has also gone on a Repashy strike, he refuses to eat anything veggie related unless it is Veggie Burger :/ He's such a brat sometimes lol.

I got an outdoor enclosure for him so he can get his energy out outside safely, I will have pictures up soon :D

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! :)

New Enrichment Stuff
I noticed that Pancake seems to have a thing for crawling through hoops or holes, so I bought him a crinkle tunnel. He was a bit nervous of it at first, but he eventually realized it can be a good place to nap during playtime.

96854-3285357221.jpg
96854-9543733303.jpg

He has also gotten MUCH more comfortable outside and gets a bit squirmy, but he's such a sneak that he gets out of beardie harnesses somehow. So the only option was an outdoor enclosure.

96854-9002934452.jpg

It's an extra-large ZooMed Repti-Breeze enclosure that I placed horizontally. It's not as fancy as what I had in mind, but it's probably more practical since it's easy to move around. I'm still deciding on what else to put in it. Right now he has two pieces of driftwood, his bathing bowl for water or to swim in, and a bunch of leaves which seem to be working well for shade (plus he likes to rustle around in them lol).

96854-4844950042.jpg
96854-9785867724.jpg

Here he is carefully investigating the new log.

And this is just a wholesome picture of Pancake and some flowers :D
96854-286763735.jpg

The Pan-Fund

Being a university student, I always get a little nervous that something will happen to Pancake and I won't be able to afford the vet bill or that I'll have some other unexpected financial blow and not be able to order in all his fancy bugs from the Worm Lady. However, since I sometimes get tips from my seasonal job, I decided to make Pancake a trust fund :lol: This way if anything happens Pancake will be all good.

96854-9302609888.jpg

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
That outdoor enclosure is fantastic!!! I just started trying Norbert in a mesh hamper that zips closed. Your thing is way better! I love the PanFund idea - LOL
It's actually quite sensible. :0)

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":akl0k2gj said:
That outdoor enclosure is fantastic!!! I just started trying Norbert in a mesh hamper that zips closed. Your thing is way better! I love the PanFund idea - LOL
It's actually quite sensible. :0)

How is the hamper going? I've seen a lot of people use those but Pancake gets a bit too zoomy when he's happy so I felt like he wouldn't have enough room.

The enclosure is super light; the frame is aluminum so it's pretty handy to just assemble and then move in and out of the house when needed. It was around $174 CAD, which is fairly cheap compared to some other ones I was looking at.

:lol: Thanks, I keep the jar in the cupboard under his terrarium. It's hilarious because whenever I open the door he comes running over (expecting to get some bugs or a treat), and when he hears coins clinking in the jar instead he tilts his little head like, "Huh?? Hooman?? You are giving me the monies??"

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
LOL!!!
Tell Pan it's his bug money!

The hamper is good enough to just get Norbert some safe outdoor/sun time, but he does climb around its walls, and would probably appreciate a bit of running room.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":cjuufe00 said:
LOL!!!

The hamper is good enough to just get Norbert some safe outdoor/sun time, but he does climb around its walls, and would probably appreciate a bit of running room.

I saw the picture of it on Instagram, the purple colour looks pretty cute :) It also looks like you managed to fit more stuff in it than I had expected would fit in a hamper lol.

Veggie Problems

Pancake's Repashy strike seems to be coming to an end, he tried orange bell pepper for the first time yesterday and loved it. Hopefully he'll go back to eating twice a day, but I think he's probably grumpy about the full body sheds right now. He has also been jumping all over my keyboard while I was trying to type this so he must be feeling less itchy today.

96854-7583396956.jpg
Trying the bell pepper with some escarole and dandelion leaves.
96854-5843041362.jpg
Happy food smiles :mrgreen:

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2iybucw2 said:
Great! Moro and Tombo went nuts for their first bell peppers too!

-Brandon

How often is it okay to feed a beardie bell peppers? On the beautiful dragons nutrition chart it says occasionally, but it doesn't give any nutritional facts on yellow and orange bell peppers.

Also, I will need to check out your thread for your beardies :D Tombo is such a cute name!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do it once or twice a week if I have bell peppers on hand. They aren't something I buy regularly for them so when I have it, they get it :)

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Blackenedsabbath":iocio3dp said:
JumpinJellyfish":iocio3dp said:
LOL!!!

I saw the picture of it on Instagram, the purple colour looks pretty cute :) It also looks like you managed to fit more stuff in it than I had expected would fit in a hamper lol.

Veggie Problems

Pancake's Repashy strike seems to be coming to an end, he tried orange bell pepper for the first time yesterday and loved it. Hopefully he'll go back to eating twice a day, but I think he's probably grumpy about the full body sheds right now. He has also been jumping all over my keyboard while I was trying to type this so he must be feeling less itchy today.

96854-7583396956.jpg
Trying the bell pepper with some escarole and dandelion leaves.
96854-5843041362.jpg
Happy food smiles :mrgreen:
That face!!!! :-D
The purple in the pic you saw is a piece of fleece. The rest is extra accessories from early on. It's a handy setup for now, but I'm definitely considering one like yours!
Norbert is trying to train me to only feed him his favorite worms right now, so I totally understand the veggie excitement.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah yes, the beloved fleece lol. It's very odd that beardies seem to love it (but my dogs always sit on blankets too so maybe all animals do it :haha:). It looks like a handy set up :)

---

This morning when Pancake went to the bathroom, there was a 1" long, hard urate. It was all white but it's never been hard or that big before :( I called the vet right away and he said it could possibly be a build up since his bathroom schedule slowed waaaay down during this full body shed, or that it's a hydration thing again. I've still NEVER seen him drink from his fountain, and since his appetite went down he wasn't getting as much hydration from his veggies as usual :/ His appetite started to come back more last night, and he tried cactus pear today and loved it, so I'm hoping that will help. Otherwise, it's back to the critical care for the rest of the week. I also syringe watered him, I'm really hoping its just a hydration thing due to the shed and not a kidney issue... If it doesn't improve he's off to the vet for blood work :( Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and I'm just overthinking as usual lol

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aw try not to worry too much. Shedding does tend to cause things to change up for a bit. It's good that it was at least white. It could have simply been hard due to how long it was in the body before being excreted, or due to how large it was.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom