Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtxollie1

We want to paint my room which has our two bearded dragons in, is it safe to do so with them in the room? The vivarium is extremely heavy so it is almost impossible to move. Will the paint be harmful to them? We will keep the room well ventilated and use a non toxic paint. Thankyou :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes. The fumes from the paint will be very dangerous to them, you will need to set up some kind of industrial fan to force fresh air though the room to ensure the concentration of solvent fumes remains low , OR , find someone with a removalists trolley or a few beefy helpers to assist you in moving the tank to an area of the house that WONT be contaminated by solvent fumes.

Even NON-Toxic paints come in cans full of very toxic solvents.

Gtxollie1

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1u2x1idw said:
Yes. The fumes from the paint will be very dangerous to them, you will need to set up some kind of industrial fan to force fresh air though the room to ensure the concentration of solvent fumes remains low , OR , find someone with a removalists trolley or a few beefy helpers to assist you in moving the tank to an area of the house that WONT be contaminated by solvent fumes.

Even NON-Toxic paints come in cans full of very toxic solvents.

Okay, Thankyou for the advice !

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya Gtxollie1,

I agree with what the other poster said. Another option, though, is to make a temporary setup elsewhere in your house until the fumes clear.

Best,
-Ellen

Gtxollie1

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":7nu1myco said:
Hiya Gtxollie1,

I agree with what the other poster said. Another option, though, is to make a temporary setup elsewhere in your house until the fumes clear.

Best,
-Ellen
I think that might be my best bet, I’ve looked into buying some large plastic tubs, that I’ll be able to add the lighting to, they would only need to stay in there for a few days so once everything is set up okay they should bs Fine. Thanks for the input :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Large plastic tubs as temp. homes would be best, they have really big ones at Walmart.

Hi! Piggy-backing off the OP’s question, how long should we wait to move our beardie back into a room after it’s been painted? We were thinking of painting our son’s room next week.

Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can't smell the paint anymore, it's fully cured! :mrgreen:
It all depends on what type of paint you use. But that's a good general rule to go by. A day or two should be good enough as long as you have good airflow through it.

-Brandon

claudiusx":18hp6usr said:
If you can't smell the paint anymore, it's fully cured! :mrgreen:
It all depends on what type of paint you use. But that's a good general rule to go by. A day or two should be good enough as long as you have good airflow through it.

-Brandon

Thank you Brandon! That’s what I was going to do for my son, so I figured it’d be same for our beardie, but I wanted to double check!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":nwf5jdnf said:
It all depends on what type of paint you use.

This is the statement that says it all with regard to both fumes and curing/drying times.

The problem with paint & other finishes is off-gassing VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). Here's an article that IMO explains things pretty well: https://www.thespruce.com/low-voc-paint-and-no-voc-paint-1976533
You can find more info by googling: VOCs

Unfortunately, many plastic tubs can/may also off-gas VOCs and/or other toxic substances (e.g. vinyl chloride gas from PVC plastic). So again, it all depends on what type of plastic tub you use.

If, when you remove the lid from a tub, you smell any kind of odor, it's off-gassing something. Whether that something is toxic or not is the question.

Think about canaries in mines. Small animals are likely to be more sensitive than humans to many gasses/fumes/toxins. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution. At the very least, I'd suggest finding out what kind of plastic the tub is made of, and do a little homework. :wink:

That said, I agree with getting some help and moving the primary enclosure to a safer place until the paint is completely dried/cured--which could take up to 30 days for latex paint.
Paint doesn’t cure, or reach maximum hardness, until days after the paint is dry.

Oil-based paints cure faster (in about 7 days) than latex paints (in about 30 days).

https://www.glidden.com/inspiration/all-articles/how-long-does-paint-take-to-dry-cure

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom