Very New to This! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmichelles23

Hi everyone! My name is Lindsay. We just recently got a baby beardie as our newest family member for my sons birthday. His name is Trevor, although we do not know the sex yet, my son insisted. Anyway, we are new to caring for bearded dragons and need some help! Trevor is our first beardie ever and the place we got him did not offer very good advice on the day to day care. Trev is about 6 inches long, we think maybe 2 months old? We have set up a tank but I do not think we have near the right set up. I need some help! I have a picture of Trevor and his new home below. Any guidance would be very helpful as far as daily diet, bathing schedule, misting, watering. Pretty much any help I can get. Thank you in advance!!
105544-6854803706.jpg
105544-7022355050.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi Lindsay and little Trevor.

The one big suggestion is a change in lighting. Heat and UVB light are how dragon's digest their food and get the nutrients out of the food. You can look at all the care articles on the this website here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/index.php .

Here is an excerpt on the important part for a UVB tube light: "The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). [...] How should I mount my UVB light? Screen filters out UVB light, so the best way to do it is to mount the light inside of your cage. You can easily do this by purchasing an under-the-counter fluorescent fixture ($9 at Walmart) and 3M command hooks. Just stick the hooks on the back wall of your cage, and hang the light fixture from them."

Looks like you have nice decorations, leafy greens, water, probably have small bugs several times a day. There is a learning curve to owning a dragon. Eventually your dragon should get a bigger home, he will grow fast. Get heat and light. Digital temp probes and light timers help make that daily lighting on a schedule easy on Trevor and you and your son. Welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom