Humidity under my basking bulb, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so I'm getting my tank set up for a beardie that I plan on getting pretty quick, and I have two digital thermometers on either end of my tank that measure humidity levels and temperatures. The temp of it is 35⁰C but the humidity levels under it sits normally between 20-25% while humid levels at the other end of my tank normally sit at about 45%. I was wondering if that's alright or if you know something that would help. I've considered misting the one side a little, but I don't want to increase the humidity levels at the other end since they're already pretty high

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nope you're humidity levels are fine! It will naturally be lower on the hot side. Everything sounds good!

Is 35c the basking surface temp or the hot side temp?

-Brandon

WarpedHowl

Original Poster
Hey Brandon, thank you for helping. And the temp was for the basking spot, although I wasn't looking at the thermometer yet, but it sits at 37.2⁰C. That alright?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
37 is a bit low at the basking site. It is probably ok for an adult but I'd try to bump it up a couple degrees or so if you can. Babies like a range of 40 to 43.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Those digital thermometers are they a stick on or a actual digital w/ a probe-? I just saw a digital in a tank that was just that no probe-
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":flil509p said:
Those digital thermometers are they a stick on or a actual digital w/ a probe-? I just saw a digital in a tank that was just that no probe-
Karrie

If there is no remote (on a long wire) probe , I'd replace it with digital probe that has a remote probe , this will give you more options
ie
> dangle the probe in the air , will measure radiant heat from basking globe or CHE + air temperature ( natural convective heat transfer (in a proper enclosed tank (solid lid) or if the top is "open" warmed air before it escapes to warm up the boundary layer of air just below the room's ceiling
> place the probe so it near the warm zone wall or cool zone wall but not in contact with the wall surface , this will give an indication of a combination of circulating air temperature + radiant heat
> place the probe so it's directly under the basking globe but not in physical contact with the basking spot's surface , will give an indication of the direct radiant heat and the temperature of turbulent airflow rising from the warmed basking spot's surface + reflected radiant heat from the basking spot
> place the probe so it is in direct physical contact with the basking spot's surface and directly under the basking globe , will indicate the combined temperature from the warmed basking spot ( by conduction of heat from the surface to the probe ) + radiant heat from the basking spot , conductive heat transfer to the probe in this instance will be minimal ( inside the laminar convective boundary layer ).
> place the probe so it's under the basking spot but not in physical contact with the structure of the basking spot , this will give an indication of air temperature ( by convective heat transfer to the probe ) in the basking spot and will shield the probe from radiant heat transfer.
> place the probe under hide (not in physical contact with the hide or the substrate) , will indicate the air temperature under the hide by convective heat transfer to the probe.
> place the probe in the substrate (if you have non-solid substrate) , will give the substrate temperature by heat conduction to the probe.
Much more versatile than a digital thermometer with a builtin temperature sensor and more accurate and meaningful and useful temperatures are attainable.

Humidity : if it's under 70 % it's fine. Short excursions in RH to 80% or there abouts are also acceptable .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom