Got the bug again, Does petsmart still do their $1/gal sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD16

Juvie Member
As the title says,

After MANY years of being away from the hobby, The bug finally bit me again and I'm really missing having a dragon running around in my life and my home. I was curious if anybody knew if petsmart still did their $1/gal sales? If so, Do they only do them certain times in the year? I did a google search and found a post on facebook from January 2007 about their $1/gal sales but couldn't find anything super recent.

I know the kit comes with a lot of stuff that isn't meant for or "right" for beardies, but my local petsmart currently has their Bearded Dragon "starter" 40 gallon with all the supplies (as I mentioned I know some of it isn't meant for, right,or good for beardies) "on sale" from $239.99 to $199.99 so I was considering buying that and switching out everything that wasn't good for a beardie and upgrading it and switching it to something better.

Thanks in advance everybody and here's to hoping I have a new scaly friend to show off and bring me back to being active on here soon!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They still have them but its certain parts of the country -- I have never seen them where I live --- on that note I would get a tank from one of the sites listed on the Enclosure Board --- your going to be throwing alot of money away for stuff you wont use and you will end up having to upgrade anyway-- you can always get a big tank and section it off --- not to mention stuff your gonna replace after getting rid of the stuff that comes w/ the 40 gallon--- its just a suggestion --- I will let some others weigh in on this
Karrie

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Karrie,

I know I'd be throwing a lot of money away and most of the stuff would have to be replaced, I was just thinking it would be the quickest route to at least get the enclosure and work on getting the rest of what I need after that, I've been looking around the enclosure board as well to see what's out there. I'm not going to rush into anything but definitely want to start shopping around and acquiring the stuff I'm going to need.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They do it sometimes, but of course when I wanted one the sale was over lol.

I wouldn't get the kit. Even buying the 40g off sale and what you actually need will end up being about the price of the kit. Plus you wont have to spend more to replace the junk.

-Brandon

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I appreciate the input! I appreciate everybodys feedback and am still in the planning and logistics phase of figuring everything back out as far as getting a terrarium, getting the beardie, and all the stuff I had and got rid of.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe you could look into building your own custom tank too. It won't be as cheap (usually) but, it's a nice option to have!

-Brandon

SPandS

Juvie Member
I haven't needed a new tank in a while so I haven't been paying attention to when they go on sale but in my experience Petco has the sale more often than Petsmart, at least near me.

You could look for used ones online at places like Craigslist, even if it's just a temporary tank until get a better one or build one like claudiusx suggested. There are places that sell custom tanks too if you want to go that route. You could also look at exo terra tanks, they cost more than a regular tank but the front opening doors are great.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've been keeping my eye on the 40 gallons for sale near me via craigslist and I'm well aware of what they cost and that they do hold their value if they stay in tact w/o any cracks or damage to them, However my biggest problem I'm facing right now is a large majority of the people selling their terrariums on craigslist, my local 4sale site, and facebook, they're all asking close to retail price for their tanks. If I'm going to pay retail for a 40 gallon terrarium I may as well go brand new and not second hand.

SPandS

Juvie Member
I got an email from Petco today, their $1 per gallon sale is back but it only includes 10, 20, 20l or 29 gallons.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Figures it was only for the smaller tanks. I'll keep my eyes open though something will pop up eventually.

LMG07

BigD16":ic3xd9cq said:
Figures it was only for the smaller tanks. I'll keep my eyes open though something will pop up eventually.

The larger tanks are 50% off at my local petco right now, in addition to the $1/gal sale on the small ones.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I could have sworn I posted that too. They have their 50% off larger tanks which makes the 40gs around 60 bucks I think.

-Brandon

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
BigD16":22exnr30 said:
As the title says,

After MANY years of being away from the hobby, The bug finally bit me again and I'm really missing having a dragon running around in my life and my home. I was curious if anybody knew if petsmart still did their $1/gal sales? If so, Do they only do them certain times in the year? I did a google search and found a post on facebook from January 2007 about their $1/gal sales but couldn't find anything super recent.

I know the kit comes with a lot of stuff that isn't meant for or "right" for beardies, but my local petsmart currently has their Bearded Dragon "starter" 40 gallon with all the supplies (as I mentioned I know some of it isn't meant for, right,or good for beardies) "on sale" from $239.99 to $199.99 so I was considering buying that and switching out everything that wasn't good for a beardie and upgrading it and switching it to something better.

Thanks in advance everybody and here's to hoping I have a new scaly friend to show off and bring me back to being active on here soon!

i would check facebook marketplace and craigslist i have found 40 gallon breeders for 25 dollars you would just need to clean them

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Bmjo,

I have been keeping my eye on facebook marketplace. Unfortunately I have missed out on a few good deals as I just couldn't get out of work on time to beat other people to it. But I'm still shopping around and hoping I can come across a good deal and browse marketplace almost daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom