Ate a flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Help my bearded dragon ate a flower out of my windowsill. I don’t know what to do
103403-2694469742.jpg
He didn’t eat much, maybe half of a petal. I think the type of flower is called a begonia. Please help

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I tried to look up if it’s toxic for him but I can’t find anything about them so I don’t know if it’s gonna hurt him. He just ate before he ate the flower so it’s not the only thing in his stomach right now.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Begonias are generally considered to be toxic.

This website has a lot of great information:
http://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/begonia

The site mentions:
- the underground portions are the most toxic
- "the toxin amount is relatively low, so potentially life-threatening or serious intoxication of a pet from begonia (while theoretically possible) is basically unheard of."
- "towards humans, the University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension in Lancaster County lists begona as non-toxic, with the notation “that these plants have shown no more toxicity than an equal amount of vegetable matter. Symptoms are unlikely”."
- "In most cases of calcium oxalate ingestion, treatment can be managed at home. Upon finding out that your pet may have ingested a plant containing calcium oxalate; the mouth should be rinsed and flushed thoroughly with water. The animal can then be given yogurt, milk, cheese or any other source of calcium to provide relief from the pain, by possibly precipitating some of the calcium oxalate crystals."

I would keep a close eye on your beardie, but I am sure he will be fine!

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so so so much it’s been about 45 minutes since he ate it and he’s ate some of his salad with calcium powder on it from this morning I think he’s going to be ok but I’ll keep watching him closely for a while

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
You should consider giving him an activated charcoal solution if you're worried. I have not done this myself, but seen it recommended in other cases where people's beardies have eaten something questionable.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
The two toxins in begonias are calcium oxalates and cucurbitacin B. From what I have read, activated charcoal can be used to treat cucurbitacin B poisoning, but it is not recommended for oxalate ingestion. Everything I have read says do not induce vomiting and do not give charcoal for plant oxalate ingestion. Calcium can be given to counter hypocalcemia.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in!

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Finleythebeardie":1tmeu266 said:
I think I have some activated charcoal capsules, but how exactly do I figure out dosage and how do I give it to him?

If you do decide to try the activated charcoal, beardeddragon.co sells a solution at a concentration of 125mg/mL, so you could aim for a similar concentration. Then give 0.4cc to 0.8cc per 100g of body weight. (eg. 1.4 - 2.8 cc for a 350g lizard)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
With that little amount ingested of a very mildly toxic plant there should be no problem.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AHBD":2lsxt7ki said:
With that little amount ingested of a very mildly toxic plant there should be no problem.
I agree.
In the future though, If more were to be ingested, you would not want to hold back on charcoal administration simply based on oxalates. It would still be best to use activated charcoal.

But in this case, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :) And I wouldn't have felt a need to administer any myself, unless he was showing signs of sickness.

How is he doing now?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom