Are cruciferous vegetables bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I have always heard that collard, mustard, and turnip greens are the best staple greens for bearded dragons. But I keep hearing stuff about them being bad and containing goitrogens(supposedly bad for thyroids?). I've also heard that kale, swiss chard and spinach should be fed moderately because of calcium binding, and also because they have higher levels of goitrogens. So how bad of an issue is this? Is it something to be concerned about because that would cut out a lots of vegetables to feed. I generally feed dandelion greens, which as far as I'm aware, do not apply to this, so they are safe, but there only available early in the summer before they seed and die. Can someone please explain this to me? :help:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that if you provide a nice variety of veges then that's the most important thing. A balanced diet should overcome the shortfalls of any one item. I've been feeding all of those greens at one point or another for years and have seen no problems.

LouieLizard

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ckj1l4w said:
I think that if you provide a nice variety of veges then that's the most important thing. A balanced diet should overcome the shortfalls of any one item. I've been feeding all of those greens at one point or another for years and have seen no problems.
Thank you! I'll try to mix it up more.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree completely with cooper. A varied diet is key!

I too have fed all those items for years with great success. However I'll admit I dont feed kale and spinach very often.

-Brandon

LouieLizard

Original Poster
claudiusx":qnvk12dm said:
I agree completely with cooper. A varied diet is key!

I too have fed all those items for years with great success. However I'll admit I dont feed kale and spinach very often.

-Brandon
Thank you! I recently started pre-making his salads and storing them in the refrigerator. I used to just give some greens a few times a week but this is much better. A half hour or so of preparation and then I don't have to do anything for the rest of the week except put it in his dish. :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do the same. I'm a bad beardie slave. If I don't prep ahead of time for the week, I get lazy and sometimes they don't get a salad! :dontknow:

But, that's the same for me personally too. If I don't meal prep myself, I'll eat like crap lol! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom