Bearded dragon + Ornate box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

gina5151

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I own a beardie that is about 3 years old. I am about to adopt an ornate box turtle that has been living in a house with a bearded dragon for the past 4 years. We are concerned about the risk of spreading salmonella/diseases between the two animals...they will obviously live in separate tanks and they will not come into contact with each other. We intend to be extremely careful about thoroughly washing hands and disinfecting surfaces between handling the animals...that being said, is it safe for us to own both of those reptiles at the same time? Any info would be appreciated - thank you all very much :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I keep a few different species of reptiles aside from my beardies (a ball python, a leopard gecko, and a crested gecko) and I've never encountered any problems.

Just make sure to sanitize your hands before holding one of them if you already handled the other, keep items that you'd use for the both of them clean before switching from animal to animal, and all that.

Otherwise it'd be perfectly fine and neither of them will really care about the existence of the other, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Also, I bet you know this already if you're getting the turtle, but just be ready to keep it for an extremely long time. Box turtles live anywhere from 40-60 years to even 80-100 years old, and their care is a bit difficult; so just be prepared to have it for a LONG time. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
KarrieRee":1dwzvfoz said:
40-60 years to even 80-100 years old :shock:
Wow!
Karrie
Yup, a friend of mine has a eastern box turtle she rescued that's around 57 years old (I think? Somewhere around that age) and named Blueberry.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
You're welcome! Good luck with your turtle!! :D

SPandS

Juvie Member
I also have a multi reptile household, besides the dragons I have a couple aquatic turtles and some fire bellied toads. It's not recommended but I've let one of the dragons and turtles roam around my deck together.
103231-1396700479.jpg

SandP":j1s3mjxm said:
I also have a multi reptile household, besides the dragons I have a couple aquatic turtles and some fire bellied toads. It's not recommended but I've let one of the dragons and turtles roam around my deck together.
103231-1396700479.jpg
Male painted?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
SandP":3o3lg2ty said:
103231-1396700479.jpg
Cute Cooter and Beardie! :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
You're welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom