New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rauka

Good day all,

I just became the owner of a new life friend. I don't know what sex he/she is yet as he'a only a little over a month old, but I have lots of questions.

I have a Exo Terra 38x16 (low), Reptisun UVB 10.0 (34"), and a proper heat lamp. His basking area is 104-110F and cool area is 85F (which he never ventures over to).

Issues:

1) Feeding: I try to give him crickets, I dust them..but need to find a better way to feed him. Putting 1 at a time and waiting until he finally decides to eat it just isn't working, and he NEVER touches his fresh greens / blueberries / strawberries I cut up every day. I'm just worried he's not getting enough intake.

2) Behavior: Likes to bask, and just sit there all day, sometimes hangs from branch or stretches out. Recently he's been super skiddish and hiding in his log. I gave him a warm bath this morning and it was a freakout when he waded in his little tub I got. Right now he's hiding from me and when I move around in the apt, I got him from Pet Smart (I know...not the ideal place), but he was kept separate from beardies as the employee of that store actually had one herself .

I just want to make sure he's getting what he needs to thrive, I am sure he's stressed to hell, but it's concerning that he'll eat maybe 8 crickets a day max, no greens. If anyone has any suggestions with feeding it would be appreciated. I work 7am until about like 5pm so I get up early and try to feed him before work. Also there is a water bowl that he never even looks at. Thanks for any suggestions.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome hes going thru location stress--- may take him a few days to come around eating--- and since hes young its not uncommon for them to not eat their greens--- just just haft to keep offering him them to him/her -- the UVB I am assuming its in the tank ? and its approx 10-11 inches from his basking area? If you have a wide hole screen you can have it on top but if its a fine mesh I would have it in the tank-- you can also try some dubia roaches for him -- those could be left in the tank during the day - the crickets not so much they have a tendency to bite -- others might have some ideas on here for feeding as well --- you can always get some BSFl too --- they are small and you could leave them in the tank but you would need a certain bowl so they cant crawl out of -
Karrie

Rauka

Original Poster
KarrieRee":32e9gzhy said:
Welcome hes going thru location stress--- may take him a few days to come around eating--- and since hes young its not uncommon for them to not eat their greens--- just just haft to keep offering him them to him/her -- the UVB I am assuming its in the tank ? and its approx 10-11 inches from his basking area? If you have a wide hole screen you can have it on top but if its a fine mesh I would have it in the tank-- you can also try some dubia roaches for him -- those could be left in the tank during the day - the crickets not so much they have a tendency to bite -- others might have some ideas on here for feeding as well --- you can always get some BSFl too --- they are small and you could leave them in the tank but you would need a certain bowl so they cant crawl out of -
Karrie

Thanks for the update. Yeah I am a new Dad so I want to make sure my little guy is happy and healthy. I managed to get 2 crickets into him earlier, but that was it. I definitely don't want to force him to eat, but I hope he'll be ok. I just keep my eye on him and when he watches and stares at me I will pop over and he'll eat a cricket or two, then bask. Here are some pictures for you, I hope his enclosure is good. Also, I have a Infra-red thermometer so I can keep tabs on his spots. Here's an enclosure pic (waiting on my desert background prints to be completed), and some close ups of my little guy (yes I love to spoil him) :)

Lia2axX.jpg

wJ8hARt.jpg

T12NtQZ.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tank looks great but from what I understand UVB lengths should only be only 2/3 of the tank -- he has really no way of getting away from the UVB unless he hides from it --- it seems having it run the whole length of the tank is over UVBing him-- I could be wrong and I will see what others on here think as well
Karrie

Rauka

Original Poster
If the UVB is too long I have a metal plate I can slide over some of it, I was told initially (not here, but by store). So much to learn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom