How much should my beardie be eating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaRose

My beardie is 5 months old and weighs 3.95oz which is 111.98 grams. He is 13 inches long. I give him mixed greens daily in his bowl and in the morning i feed him about 10-12 roaches and feed him the same in the evening. If i let him he would probably eat more. I use to feed him until he stopped being interested but i felt like i was constantly buying more crickets doing that. So now i switched him to roaches and he’s eating 10-12 per feeding twice a day. With salad available to him through the day. I’m wondering if he’s overeating ? Everywhere i read it says something different. I made an apt for him to see the vet for a check up next week to be sure he’s healthy. He is active and alert and i also give him calcium and vitamins. He is growing fast and i have a ceramic heat emitter on at night for his cage and during the day a dual lamp with a basking bulb and uv bulb. His temperature in the cage ranges from 98-104. He is going to the bathroom normally. He seems happy. I just worry he’s over eating. The place i bought the roaches from said to feed him 3 in the am and 3 in the pm but i thought that was so little? Any advise would be so helpful! I’m going to try and attach a picture of his last two growth trackinks (i started logging it for the vet visit) THANK YOU!

MonicaRose

Original Poster
May 19th we bought beardie
3 months old

4 months 3 weeks 7/8/19
Length: 12 inches
Weight: 3.10oz
87.8 grams

5 months 1 week 7/22/19
Length: 13 inches
Weight: 3.95 oz
111.98 grams

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome --- the dual lamp? dual lamp with a basking bulb and uv bulb. Is that a coil? If it is please get rid of it ASAP here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Basking temps for him should be 100-105 for a baby---- its great that he is eating so well now but that UVB you have is going to eventually effect that --- please get the coil changed out --- if you have any more questions please ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom