Just got my beardie 4 days ago a little worried today

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got him home he was not eating much I figured it was stress from the new home and he has been eating about 10 to 12 dubias aday except for today. All he has done today is sleep not sure if it's stress or Frome him shedding. He also didn't want to eat during meal times today just sleep. He is in a 40 gallon terrarium and has a 160 watt vaper uva+uvb bulb the basking spot is about 105 f. Just was wondering if his behavior is normal.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes going thru relocation stress --- give him a few days and see if he comes around -- is he basking at all ? The dubias are a great source for a staple feeder --- also the shed is gonna have some effect on him as well --- good temp too ---- make sure those bugs are hydrated as that is where he is gonna get most of his hydration from --- offer him greens as well he probably wont eat them as he is pretty young and his main diet is bugs at this point --- make sure your dusting those bugs 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week -- but at this point every thing sounds good -- if you have any questions please ask
Karrie

peppermintbtlr

Original Poster
Yes he is basking. But today was odd, when I turned the light on this morning at 7am he walked to his basking spot and went to sleep and only woke when I tried to feed him but wouldn't eat and when I turned off his light at 8pm he got up walked to the cool side of the tank and went back to sleep he has slept all day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So he slept under his basking all day? Not unusual-- just keep an eye on his behavior that is alot of roaches to eat at one time so it's not surprising he didn't eat today--
Karrie

peppermintbtlr

Original Poster
He don't eat them all at once usually eats that many in a day. 3 to 5 per feeding of small dubias. he has 3 feeding times 9am 12pm 4pm and I put collard greens in his enclosure. From what I read online he's supposed to have 20 per day and if that not right what is a better amount of food and feeding schedule this is the first time having a bearded dragon. The pets I had before him where Pacman frogs. So im kinda new to bearded dragons

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let him eat as many as he can in 10-15 minute time frame-- feeding him 3 times a day is good-- he should be full I would think- roaches are more filling than crickets
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you measuring your temperatures with? 160w is a powerful bulb.

-Brandon

peppermintbtlr

Original Poster
Digital heat and humidity thermometer and I have a Lazer thermometer coming in the mail. The bulb is in a large sun dome on a lamp rod and the dome is about two inch above the tank and the tank is 18 inch high

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree. A 40 gallon is a good sized tank but a 160 watt MVB light if too close may be
getting his tank too hot. How close is it to him, is it mounted on top of a screen top of by
a light stand hanging over his tank?
How is he doing today, has he eaten more than yesterday?

Tracie

Apart from the lights, I suggest you keep in mind that your young one is still growing and adapting to their new environment. Some behaviour traits will continue to change along as they continue to grow into adulthood.
I understand worrying over doing something wrong and fearing that you might end up unintentionally hurt him/her. But they are tough creatures, they are prone to being lazy and moody just like us. I would worry when the lighting and other set up is completely wrong and the creature is going through months on neglect.
Your dragon is eating and basking and pooping - it sounds to me like s/he is doing fine :) xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom