(Newcomer) Help Identifying Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabotender

Original Poster
Ive made a compromise and decided to get a 24in T5 UV florescent light along with the Mercury Vapour light. The T5 is going to be a 5.0 UV because the Mercury Vapour light already puts out a ton of UV. I am using my old halogen lamp for the middle of the cage, which is cooler than under the MV. I've decided against any light on the cool side, there should be enough ambient light so it doesn't look dreary.

I have already moved all my lizards into the larger 40 gallon and am using kitchen towels until the proper reptile matting arrives. It is such a pleasure to wake up in the morning and look in the water dish and find its as crystal clear as it was when I first added it...instead of it looking like quicksand.

as I mentioned before, I am not really on a budget but I wanted to stay practical. I searched online and found a T5 holder that was a more reasonable price than the so-called reptile branded holders were costing.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's fine :)

And i never recommend buying the reptile brand fixtures! You can buy t5 fixtures for 20-30 bucks on amazon all day long! :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ps how's your little one doing? This thread doesn't have enough pictures lol :D

-Brandon

Sabotender

Original Poster
Actually, Amazon was my first stop, and those darn T5 fixtures were like 70USD. Those ridiculous prices makes me never want to do business with those specialty reptile companies. Especially since theres little difference between what they are offering and a standard high output T5 fixture. Mind you, I am talking about the holder and not the lamp itself.

What kind of substrate would be apropriate for the bottom of the cage? I was wondering if I can get some astroturf from the hardware store, which is a lot cheaper and made of the same materials than the specialty reptile carpet, and also looks a lot more full and lush.

Ask and ye shall receive:

2rma6vs.jpg

Basking in the halogen heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Textured non adhesive shelf liner --- from Home Depot Lowes etc local home improvement store -- easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cant get underneath
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here is the fixture on amazon that we usually recommend.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vHlnDbYBK92G8
30ish bucks with free shipping. Not too bad with the included reflector :)

I personally like slightly textured tile over repticarpet alternatives. Easy to clean and you can pick a tile color that you like. I usually go with a dirt or earth tone. But the stone rock tones look good imo too.
I've got no experience with astro turf so can't help you much there.

Hes looking like a proud beardie! :)

-Brandon

Sabotender

Original Poster
I saw that one, but it doesn't appear that the reflector is long enough to prop up entire device and prevent the tube touching the wire mesh cover. I wish there were better pictures of it. You seem to have experience with it and perhaps you can confirm.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're right it cant be placed that way, it would have to be mounted to the tank, or hung from the mesh.

My tanks are custom built so its convenient for me they just mount to the topside of the tank. But I've seen people use zip ties or wires to mount it to the underside of the mesh screen.

-Brandon

Sabotender

Original Poster
I wanted to give you an update on the purchases that I have made for the new 40 gallon tank:

Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp, 160W

REPTI ZOO Dome Reptile Lamp Fixture,Optical Reflection Cover for Reptile Glass Terrariums

Jump Start JSFC2NB Grow Light Fixture, T5 HO, 24in

Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts, 22in

They are on their way this very moment. Notice the reflector on that fixture extends beyond the tube boundary, so it can be placed on top of the screen cover.

Sabotender

Original Poster
All the lamps and holders have arrived and are installed in the terrarium. It is now so bright that my room doesn't even require any supplemental light source! I checked all the temperatures and there is a nice gradient going on with the hottest area (near the MVB) ~101F and the coolest ~79F (Near the feeding dish). It was really odd. NONE of the pet shoppes around my area carried the 22in Reptisun T5 tube lamp, so I had to order it online. It appears I purchased the wrong one because I expected it to be a 5.0 bulb when it clearly reads "10.0 UVB". Not the end of the world, since the screen blocks a some UVB anyway.

2uggkr7.jpg

This is going to be my final post to this thread, because I believe I have adequately introduced myself and my newly acquired bearded dragon. I will answer any questions posted to me in here, of course! If I have any other conserns, I will open a new thread in the appropriate section.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welp everything looks good! I thought you ended up buying a bearded dragon too though? Is that the original lizard you had in that pic?
EDIT: Oh I see, they are both in the tank.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom