Dubias vs Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I see a lot of people comparing say 1 dubia to 6 crickets, or that their dragon can eat a hundred plus crickets per feeding. What size crickets are we talking here? I couldn't imagine a single dubia being equivalent to 6 1/2" crickets much less longer. And I couldnt imagine even a larger dragon eating more than a few dozen 1/2" crickets much less one hundred. Now if we're talking 1/4" crickets? I dont see an end to any dragon eating them. They're practically nothing.

Now, these same questions go for BSFL. People talk about feeding 4 dozen BSFL like a 1/4 sized snack then going on to feeding their dragon an "actual meal" of dubias, worms, crickets, what have you. The larger BSFL could/should be able to be an entire meal without feeding hundreds?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The larger the cricket the less they are gonna eat --- same w/ the dubias--- my guy ate 6-8 medium size dubias at the age of 7 months old or so --- he would not eat anymore than that--- as far as crickets I cant tell you cuz he didnt like them -- we started out w/ them when I brought him home and he really would not eat them so I was suggested by my vet to switch him over anyway to dubias so I did --- they go by the size between the eyes of the dragon and to feed as many as he will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame - I basically hand feed Hiccup the dubias meaning I feed him one at a time in his tank keep feeding until he quits chasing them - then I pull what he has not eaten --- as far as BSFL I have never fed as a staple and I am sure alot haft to be fed at a time as they are very small --- the dubias are healthier feeder --- they tend not to give parasites/ pin worms like crickets---
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I usually put 5 crix in the tank at a time to let her chase until she loses interest or 10 minutes is up. I would switch to dubias in a heart beat but house owners dislike the occasional cricket escapee and are too worried about a roach infestation. Just curious about the feeding ratios since I always see people making comparisons like 1 dubia = 6 crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danbert
Top Bottom