Bumping and surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know where else to put this, but this category seems super fitting. I have an eight month old male beardie and he's been doing some super odd stuff recently. After he came out of brumation he's been glass surfing, grinding his nose against the front glass and not really eating. I offer him greens and bugs daily but he never seems interested anymore. Originally he was in a 40 gal tank.. but I've since upgraded him to a 120 gal tank. I'm.. unsure what to do about this anymore until I can take him to a vet and see if everything inside is okay. His uvb fixture is very small and I'm going to go and get him a new one soon (the only ones i can find at pet stores that are longer are maxed at 30 inches.. I'm not sure where else to find them along with proper bulbs).

Any help or advice would be so appreciated honestly... and if there's any questions about the situation I will be more than happy to answer them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
www.pangeareptiles.com--- you need the Reptisun 10.0 tube either a T 8 or a T 5 --- they are the most recommended on the forum---- I have found them to be the most reasonable there in the last couple of days -------------- something is off w/ him surfing in a 120 gallon tank --- and not eating could be the UVB --- what is in there now for a UVB? Brand and bulb and where is it in the tank or on the screen?
Karrie

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
I am honestly unsure what kinda of uvb fixture this is, but the bulb I'm using is a 10.0 tube. It's not nearly as long as the tank and only covers 18 inches. The fixture is inside the tank itself dead center to cover most of the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
IAM sending you a pic of my tank and if it's 18" it's a T 8-- the one in my tank is a 24" and has the Arcadia 14% bulb-- my tank is 120 gallon
97951-6618921375.jpg
Karrie

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
I might have my measurements wrong then because that is much longer than mine.

image0.jpg

Here's y current tank setup

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I am looking and is there a reflector on the bulb--- my guess hes not getting enough UVB-- the UVB needs to be where he can sit directly underneath it and it needs to be 6-8 inches from his basking spot--- if its a T 8 --- please check your bulb ---
Karrie

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
Will do ! I plan on getting a new fixture anyways so hopefully it'll be better in the long run. (the one i saw at pet smart supports a 24 inch tube so im hoping that will be fine)

At least then I'll know for sure what sort of fixture I have and such.

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
I finally got him a new hood to go with the new tank ! It's not the perfect size? Only 30 inches across- but it fills in plenty of space in the tank !

image0.jpg

Here's the new hood and bulb !

image0.jpg

t8

image1.jpg

10.0 uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I see him is he able to sit directly under it and it should be 6-8 inches since it's a T 8-- any behavior change?
Karrie

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
As of now no- everything was just bought today and he hasn't changed much since putting it in maybe- an hour ago.. I don't think he can sit directly under it as of now- not until I can get something makeshift to put under it or get something else (i spent the last bit of my cash on the hood)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so moving or getting decor might be easier-- but you definitely want him under it 6-8 inches and cover off the bulb-- bulb needs to be exposed+- and bulb should be changed out in 6 months
Karrie

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
Another update! He’s eating a lot better but is still scratching at the sides and running his nose against the glass. I have no idea what else to do at this point aside from taking him to a vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does it look like he's gonna shed? Usually glass surfing means they want out unless there is something w/ lighting and in this case is not the case--
Karrie

GalacticGat0r

Original Poster
He’s been sorta shedding. Only his feet and head have been really coming off but not his body or tail. After he’s been catching up on eating he’s been gradually shedding more and more.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's itchy that would be my guess- try bathing him and brushing w/ a soft toothbrush-- see if that doesn't help
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom