Adult dragon feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
91196-4396226490.jpg
91196-9458737890.jpg
Rex is super healthy and an amazing eater. Just got recent fecal which was perfect. Loves his veggies and eats an enormous bowl daily of dandelion greens, collards, escarole, sometimes turnip or mustard greens with some julienne/shaved zucchini, yellow squash and butternut squash. I dust 6 days with vitamin and a few days with probiotic. I have been feeding him dubia daily in winter he eats 2-3 large and in summer he has been eating 4-5 a day. Once a week I give him a super worm. He poops once or twice a day. When we adopted him in the fall he was 620g and thru most of the winter and spring he ran about 630-650g. I weighed him today and he was 688. Should I cut his dubia to every other day?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It's great hes such a good eater and an active boy!

Personally I only feed my adults insects 3 times a week. You could cut back to every other day if you want, but I would cut back some. Hes a big boy!

Too much protein in adults can possibly lead to some health issues so it's best to limit it. Dubias are very high protein so if you're feeding full size adult dubias, I'd probably only feed 2 or 3 at a time.

-Brandon

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your thoughts. I definitely am aware of the over-protein issue but I was thinking this was low amount of dubia/protein v greens I.e. 80/20. I use Repashy btw. I think I will cut him back to 2-3 every other and slowly scale him back to 3-4 days a week of protein. If you do 3 days a week you think still 3 large dubia only? The good thing is it will be less poop to clean.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I did PM you also. :D
He looks terrific! What a big handsome boy he is.
I agree, cutting back on the protein would be good, especially since he is doing well with eating
his greens also.
Usually 30-40 feeders per week is good. If you are giving large dubia, then 20 or so weekly
should be fine. If you gave worms then depending on the size you could give more.

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am lucky he loves his greens. Try adding some novelty sometimes like tiny bits of mango or a few small pieces of strawberry or blueberry so he has to go hunting...some on top and some inside for a surprise.

Glamamama":24x90674 said:
I am lucky he loves his greens. Try adding some novelty sometimes like tiny bits of mango or a few small pieces of strawberry or blueberry so he has to go hunting...some on top and some inside for a surprise.
I usually try to do that but sometime he gets smart and pick the good stuff out :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom