Endless pursuit of the right bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Hey I'm literally tired mentally of trying to find the right bulb to use with my reptisun. I've tried halogen and regular incandescent and halogen equivalents and I basically just went back to zoo med basking bulbs. Are these ok to use.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sure, those work pretty well. From what I've seen they don't handle dimming well (make a buzzing sound) and are relatively fragile compared to the outdoor halogen flood lights but if you're getting the right temps with them, go for it.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Temps are good range from 95 to 104 at the hottest spot. I just had a hard time finding a halogen there equivalents now and don't hot enough and the 60watt par 38 had to be 2and half feet in the air to get good temperatures but only in a very small area and the rest of the tank was to cold. It seems that the reptile bulbs give off much more ambient heat as well as good basking spot temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think most of them use bulge reflectors (BR30, BR40 etc) which may factor into the difference. It sounds like the ZooMed is a good fit for your setup so I'd keep going with it.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Thanks Liam sorry for asking so many questions I just want to do this right and I love my little guy and it's become a hobby now or obsession now as my wife says lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please ask as many questions as you'd like. That's what the forum is here for =). I certainly understand the focus and obsession with these guys.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use the zoomed basking bulbs too in some of my tanks. It's most likely what I will continue using once my household bulbs burn out.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not that it relates much but I'm really interested in trying the Arcadia Ir heat bulbs. Add it right over the basking spot next to a regular household bulb for light.

So the ir bulb provides the heat.
Household bulb provides visible light and some heat
And of course a tube uv

Thata going to be the next lighting setup I experiment with.

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I remember now seeing some kind of reptile basking light that said halogen on it I think it was a exoterra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom