bath time help

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i gave bowser his first bath today scence i got him because he is starting to shed... well i can say i probley wont be giving him another one untill hes a lil older cause she didnt seem to like it that much as of right now he wouldnt go into the water he would only stay on my hand as i put some water on him and his tummy how do i get him to like baths??? is there a way or do i just need to wait for the right age?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some like baths some do not --- mine does not he has gotten used to it and now tolerates it -- he still trys to climb out of the sink eventually he gives up --- I take a dish towel set in bottom of my deep sink and use the pull out faucet on him --- the water pools so he can sit in it but I take the faucet and run it over him for like 10 minutes --- I do this about once a week or so --- it helps them w/ shed --- they may not like it but it does make them feel better w/ that loose skin --- you can take a soft toothbrush to get the loose skin off of them while in the bath--- you can take some water let it drip on his nose to see if he will lick it ---- sometimes they drink from their bath and also go to the bathroom--- just make sure you put them back under their basking light so they can warm back up from the bath
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
If you're bathing him in a tub vs. the sink, you could try filling it only a little way so that there's a dry run-up to the water. Then let the faucet drip so he knows there's water nearby. He may investigate on his own, which might make it less scary for him. Whatever you do, don't leave him unattended though. Bath time can go from fun to tragic in a heartbeat if they get water in their lungs by accident. They can also aspirate it and end up with a respiratory infection potentially.

Also, make sure it's not too deep. I kept the level up to mine's belly max. until I was sure both were thoroughly comfortable with being in it. It turns out, one of mine likes swimming, so I fill one end enough that he can float if he wants, but one end is always shallow enough that he can stand in it and not have to do anything to keep his head out of the water. Bottom line is that some will like the water & others will hate it. For those who hate it, don't force the issue and instead get a spray mist bottle and mist them when they're shedding.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It's unnecessary to regularly bath a bearded dragon.

If your dragon enjoys a splash and paddle endulge it.

If your dragon detests the bath, DON"T force it on the dragon unless it's absolutely essential for health reasons.

If you MUST bathe the dragon , if it's only a small juvenile or hatchling, set a small tub on the floor or coffee table or bed , add only enough water at the RIGHT TEMPERATURE (30 - 33 degC) to come up to the dragon's sides. if it's an adult, invest in a flat bottomed baby bath or laundry tub, again set it up the floor, coffee table or bed , add water and then only enough to come up the side fringes.

VERY bad idea to run a tap in the presence a lizards, guaranteed to freak it out.
VERY bad idea to bath in the sink , if the dragon get out and falls , the hard tile floor WILL injure it.
Bad idea to bath in the bath , if it poos there, do you want to bath there too ?

Peach

Hatchling Member
Mine doesn't like baths at all, so he only gets one if he has some stuck shed or like a few weeks ago when he pooped, then walked through it. I have a shallow cat litter pan I got at Petsmart that fits in the kitchen sink. It's cheap and easy to clean/disinfect if he poops in it. I usually tilt it a little so one end is almost dry so he has some varying water levels, but even the 'deep' end doesn't come up past his belly.

Krissi1990

Original Poster
thank you all for the advice i been giiving him one every other day to help with his shedding and he hasnt been pooping regularly and it helps him poop and he is starting to like the bath more and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom