Not eating greens and hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
Its official... i tried everything, I got a new Reptisun 10.0 T5HO 34" tube plus 150w basking bulb and he is still trying to avoid basking. Temps are anywhere from 95 to 105 degrees. He is not eating his greens or have any interest except super worms and blueberries. He keeps trying to "borrow himself/scratch the tile" I am very worried for him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's wonderful you have upgraded to the Reptisun 10 T5 tube, it is a terrific light. Do you
have pictures of the tank setup so that we can see how the lighting is arranged for him? How
close is the light to him & is it mounted alongside of the basking light, too?
What is his age? It is a remote possibility that he could be trying to brumate or slow down for
awhile. Some do this during the summertime.

Tracie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Here is his setup:
92311-8400837006.jpg
He is approx 2 and half years old and the basking distance from tube to his back is approx 12".
He normally will bask in the mornings and then after he does his beardie stretches and pancakes he will eat maybe one or two greens or whatever food I give him then look for cooler place to lay down or hide under.
92311-7157525141.jpg
92311-6243885923.jpg
92311-5910984040.jpg
Is this just slowing down phase he is going through? I have never seen him do this during summertime so its been freaking me out. I do have a gram scale and weigh him to keep tabs of his weight. So far he hasn't been really losing a lot of weight. Its been pretty stable.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think he looks fine. Darwin has been acting like this too (And did last year at this time as well).

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Cooper... Wanted to make sure. He isn't black bearding and he doesn't have his head down on the tile only til later in the afternoons he gets a bit sleepy and goes to bed earlier than when the lights turn off. Do you know how long this will last? How long did Darwin do this for?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's hard for me to say. These cycles tend to be very unique to the individual dragon. Darwin was sleepy starting in July last year but would wake up for breakfast in the morning and interact with me a bit. Not his usual hyper self. Then by around mid September or so he started sleeping for days at a time and going into a full brumation. That kept up until just before Christmas when he woke up and acted hyper again for about 6 months.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Thank you Reptilelady for posting this! I was just about to post this same thing that my Tampico has been doing and from what I've read, it's normal. She too was eating really well and then all of a sudden just starting hiding in the shade and ignoring her food, but she is still super bright when I take her out of her tank and she still loves to run around too.

Hopefully we get our fun active little ones back soon! If not, I guess we will be stuck with sleepy little dragons until the end of the year. Haha They just worry the heck out of us sometimes, don't they?!? Little buggers!!!

:blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom