drinking under water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
while drinking my beardie will submerge her entire head under water for up to 45 seconds ish. she will keep opening her mouth the same as when she would drink above water. when done she will puff up and stick her head up into the air, use her 2nd eye lids to clear her eyes, shoot some water out of her nose and lick her lips.
she has been drinking this way for over a year but i thought id ask if others do this too

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not uncommon for them to drink with their head submerged like that. It can cause issues if they wind up inhaling the water. I prefer to offer water in smaller batches by dripping on their nose. They tend to tilt their head downward and lick it that way. There is less chance for them to inhale the water when they aren't drinking so much at once.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
she normally drinks while swimming, i give her about 9" of water in the bath for her to climb in and out of

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she's used to it and it hasn't posed a problem, she'll probably be fine. I know the behavior you're describing and it is fairly common when they are in water and want a drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom