Anyone else’s dragon walk and stand on their wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dragon is a couple
Months old and he is
Always standing and
Walking on his wrist
Rather than his hands.
Anyone else’s dragons
Do this? Is this u usual?
Thank you!

104453-1882121475.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that can be a symptom of MBD [ metabolic bone disease ] as the wrists become very weak from calcium deficiency. This can happen even if you dust the food with calcium. What type of lights do you have ? Take a few pics of your set up and also of the specific uvb lights that you use and where they are positioned.

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Yeah he had symptoms of low calcium a month ago and I brought him to the vet and the vet watched him throughout he day and said he was fine but couldn’t do a blood test because he was too small, he’s been doing great ever since but ever since then he’s been walking or standing on the wrist. He’s in a 40 gal breeder and has a 22 inch uvb t5 10.0 bulb in a 24 inch hood. It’s placed inside the tank in the back, he seems to be under it a fair amount. I try to bring him outside here n there only for a few
Minutes at a time though.

104453-2947137347.jpg

104453-2947137347.jpg

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
He has a 150 watt basking bulb and I do believe he had a light case of low calcium if that because when I first got him he didn’t eat for like a month, I had to feed him carnivore care and critical care with a medicine dropper. I do have some liquid calcium but I thought he was doing better, so I haven’t been giving him those. I dust his greens but he really doesn’t eat them. And I feed him Dubai roaches that eat the flukers high calcium diet and he also eats black fly larvae which I don’t dust because I was told they have the right amount. He has grown from 6 1/2 inches to I think he’s about 12 inches now in the past month alone! His poops looks big and healthy and he does two a day! And he is shedding up a storm. When I first got him he barely shed, barely pooped and wasn’t eating insects but he has made reallly good strives and is actually looking and seeming healthy but maybe I should try a different vet, or start giving him the oral supplement of calcium again?!
Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that he's grown alot, and he's still able to get up his log . Or do you put him up there ? BTW, did you get the 10.0 t5 after you realized he had MBD ? And can you mount it in the middle ? He may not get enough uvb if it's off to the side. He doesn't need another vet visit, but he did need to have his insects dusted. The claim that bsfl is high in calcium misleads people in to skipping the calcium powder but baby's still need it. If you have liquid cacium you can use some of that and also dust his insects once a day.

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Ok I will start dusting he insects as well. Yeah it’s mounted in the back, yeah he climbed up his logs just fine on his own n everything and I got that t5 light like two weeks after I bought him, so no he’s had that light before he started showing symptoms of the low calcium last month but I had thought everything was going fine except for that wrist thing. Ugh. I will start giving him more of the supplements I have too. Don’t want this to get bad. The only reason I don’t have it feomthe middle is because the screen top
Slides off, so I didn’t know how exactly to mount it there, I was actually talking to my boyfriend and we were wondering if we should buy another uvb light and mount it in the front of the tank as well.....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The poster said that it's all or most of the time. Shown in the pics you can see that it's a problem at this time

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Yeah he does it all the time and I will have him assessed but I know that they’re gonna day he is fine. Last time I brought him to the vet he had more symptoms then just walking on his wrist and they told me he was fine but I forced them to give me the oral calcium anyway. And yes I had the uvb light shining outward before and someone on her told me to make it face down, so I made it face down but it would actually be easier for it to face outward rather then down.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah just get the lights shining outward again, don't waste your money on the vet . Just start the supplements again, that's what he was lacking + almost certainly why he is in this condition.

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
AHBD":1mou2bfo said:
Yeah just get the lights shining outward again, don't waste your money on the vet . Just start the supplements again, that's what he was lacking + almost certainly why he is in this condition.

I really don’t know I’ve brought him to the vet twice since I’ve had him (2 months or so), he’s finally doing good accept for this wrist thing which is a big deal, so I guess I will do a better job dusting bugs as well as his veggies. My local vet is not very good I don’t think. I will take your advice and apply it. Thank you! My poor guy! Thank you for the help, I knew it wasn’t normal. The vet didn’t believe me last time. Thankfully I have the oral supplements that I will be giving him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom