Bearded dragons and marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aaradimian":jw0yl9bs said:
Just a thought on this whole discussion/argument/whatever. Even if MJ is safe for dragons to eat (and we only have anecdotal evidence from other threats & posters), we don't know if it's any good for them nutritionally. Sure, we can feed dragons all kinds of things that don't outwardly seem to harm them, but 1) we don't know if it's good for them in the same sense that iceberg lettuce isn't good for them as a staple. 2) it could have some sub-clinical effect on them that they can hide. We all know how good they are at hiding when they're not well.

My 2 cents is why chance it when we know that there are so many commonly available foods they can eat? It seems irresponsible in the same way as the knuckleheads here in Colorado who drive high (or drunk for that matter). I don't care if someone gets stoned out of their mind every night at home as long as they're not harming others. The line for me is when they drag others into it (other drivers, children, pets, etc.). I'm not saying that's what the OP is suggesting doing, but to anyone who is thinking about it, I'd say if you really care about your beardie, you should think twice before doing anything that could harm them. That including feeding them foods containing known psychoactive chemical compounds.

I agree with pretty much your whole sentiments.
But I do think we should also be open minded to the topic, so that discussions and learning can occur. If we just bash every single person who potentially has experiences they can share with us, we get no where and we learn nothing.

I dont think it will ever be considered a real healthy leaf, but I appreciate hearing peoples experiences so that as a community we can grow in knowledge. we wont get that if everyone is too afraid to post what they think or done because a few are very loud on the subject :)

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Agreed re. hearing different point of view. I know that to learn, you sometimes have to upset the status quo. My only issue is when something like this is done without careful consideration of the benefit vs. cost, especially since there's no "informed consent" possible. Our pets are basically at our mercy, and I'm not real keen on using them as lab rats even under controlled, scientific conditions, let alone in the haphazard way that this sort of 'experiment' plays out in reality. But that's just me. As you say, opinions welcome, as long as they stay civil. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Totally agree. How I see it, if someone is going to do it anyways, we might as well take advantage of the opportunity to learn. I dont encourage it, but I also see it as a waste to not take it as an opportunity to learn.

It's not something I recommend, but like nob said a few posts up, your pet your choice.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It's not something I recommend, but like nob said a few posts up, your pet your choice.

Yeah. Sadly, we're not a species known for our good choices. :banghead:
I am still unhappy with choices I made when I owned a cat and I think in a way I am trying to atone for them with my beardies. But, as the lyric says "life is a lesson- you learn it when you're through" :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The legalities of this must be taken into account . Possession of pot, and growing it (even in small qualities in your garden or home) in most places is illegal.

Not only americans come to this board, and not everyone here is a mature adult, so it's up to us educated mature adults to be very mindful of this and not to promote something that's very likely illegal and could influence a child to do something they should not be doing.

Then there are the legal ramifications for the owners of this board if a parent sees such posts.

IMO there are more appropriate places on other boards to discuss this.

If it were the least bit beneficial to allow a dragon to eat any part of the plant , it would be listed on the BeautifulDragons List (which is particularly well researched gulde) as a staple or as OK occasionally. It is not.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beautiful dragons hasn't gone around testing cannabis anymore than we have. It wouldn't be added to the list unless they did their own studies on it.

If a child has access to cannabis it's already out of our hands in regards to if we encouraged them or not. As clearly the household has cannabis.

And I dont believe anyone here is encouraging its use. Everyone has stated it's a risk since we dont know the true effects it can have. But, head in the sand gets us no where. The more information the better and if someone has used it with their dragon, or is, it's only fair to the dragon that we learn from it if it's being fed against its will or against it's better health. Otherwise, the dragon has gone through this for nothing, if it infact does go through anything. But, we dont know of it does or doesnt.

So there is no encouragement of action here, only discussion.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Kaiju":296uor0o said:
(I didn't bother watching the video either.)

Assuming there are no negative effects, what separates giving a bearded dragon cannabis from giving a cat catnip?

I'm not trying to troll, I'm genuinely curious.
I know I'm late replying. chiming in 2 cents.

Cat nip is indigenous to the same area cats come from. Weed is not indigenous to the Australian continent. To me that makes giving a dragon weed an unnatural and dangerous choice. Australia developed on its own and has its own ecology separate from the old world and new world plants and animals.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DorgEndo":1pam7d69 said:
Kaiju":1pam7d69 said:
(I didn't bother watching the video either.)

Assuming there are no negative effects, what separates giving a bearded dragon cannabis from giving a cat catnip?

I'm not trying to troll, I'm genuinely curious.
I know I'm late replying. chiming in 2 cents.

Cat nip is indigenous to the same area cats come from. Weed is not indigenous to the Australian continent. To me that makes giving a dragon weed an unnatural and dangerous choice. Australia developed on its own and has its own ecology separate from the old world and new world plants and animals.

True.
It is not indigenous to the Australian continent which has been isolated from all others for over 100 million years..
"Weed" is an human introduced plant here in Australia and arrived here with british settlement some time after 1788 when the penal colony at Sydney was established and was originally a crop used for fibre manufacture ( cloth, rope ) an industry that didn't start for right away (1820s)..

Use of "weed" for smoking didn't start here (in Australia) untll the Victorian Gold Rush (1851) when Chinese fortune seekers started arriving.

The plant is one of many introduced plants that have become problems here in Australia.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I suggest it's time to a put a lock on this one, as it's going no where in ever diminishing circles and it is not worth it's legal risk to the board's owners .

Concensus is DON'T expose the dragon to this noxious plant in any form.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Disagree.
You said your peace, let others. It only goes in circles because you have to post the same thing every single time someone else posts. You said what you want, now let it be for others to say what they want.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom