RESCUE: Black beard/falling on to back/wobbly walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rescued a bearded dragon from a friend. Long story short he hasn't had lights other than a regular house bulb ever since his real lights burnt out, and I have no idea when that was.

I have taken him to the vet and he has hookworms, a high white blood cell count indicating a stomach infection, he was dehydrated, and had no food in his system. He also has those bumps on the bottom of his legs that are impacted, they are getting better though.

He' had the deworming, 4 of the 10 shots he needs, and a bunch of soaks. I had to force feed him with critical care food I got from the vet but he has started eating again.

The problem is that he is still VERY wobbly when he walks like he is going to fall over. He just sways side to side a lot. The biggest issue is that his beard will turn black and then is will fall off of his log or hammock on to his back and it will even happen when he is just laying flat.(but it's a log so it's still a curved surface) It scares me so much because I know they can't breathe on their backs. I have started taking the stuff out when I go to work and bed but I don't really like doing that because I like him to have something to get closer to the heat on. He also WON'T eat veggies or fruit. And I've tried so many different things.

He is 20.5"
He is in a 35.5L x 16"W x 17"H. I want to get him a way bigger one, I just can't right now.
He has a 150w exo terra desert uvb & a 150w zoo med repti basking spot light & a 150w ceramic heat emitter.
Basking area stays around 90-103 / cooling area is 75-85
He is on a green repti mat.
I sprinkle his super worms with calcium & vitamin D.
I feed him super worms, and I try to feed him collard greens, mango, sweet potato, kale, spring mix, and carrots. If it's not moving, he doesn't bother.

I've had him for about 2.5 weeks. He is doing way better overall, I am just really concerned he might have a neurological issue or something because I don't know why he is falling! I also know that I need to get him to eat veggies which I'm concerned about....

Carlyelaine

Original Poster
I just rescued a bearded dragon from a friend. Long story short he hasn't had lights other than a regular house bulb ever since his real lights burnt out, and I have no idea when that was.

I have taken him to the vet and he has hookworms, a high white blood cell count indicating a stomach infection, he was dehydrated, and had no food in his system. He also has those bumps on the bottom of his legs that are impacted, they are getting better though.

He' had the deworming, 4 of the 10 shots he needs, and a bunch of soaks. I had to force feed him with critical care food I got from the vet but he has started eating again.

The problem is that he is still VERY wobbly when he walks like he is going to fall over. He just sways side to side a lot. The biggest issue is that his beard will turn black and then is will fall off of his log or hammock on to his back and it will even happen when he is just laying flat.(but it's a log so it's still a curved surface) It scares me so much because I know they can't breathe on their backs. I have started taking the stuff out when I go to work and bed but I don't really like doing that because I like him to have something to get closer to the heat on. He also WON'T eat veggies or fruit. And I've tried so many different things.

He is 20.5"
He is in a 35.5L x 16"W x 17"H. I want to get him a way bigger one, I just can't right now.
He has a 150w exo terra desert uvb & a 150w zoo med repti basking spot light & a 150w ceramic heat emitter.
Basking area stays around 90-103 / cooling area is 75-85
He is on a green repti mat.
I sprinkle his super worms with calcium & vitamin D.
I feed him super worms, and I try to feed him collard greens, mango, sweet potato, kale, spring mix, and carrots. If it's not moving, he doesn't bother.

I've had him for about 2.5 weeks. He is doing way better overall, I am just really concerned he might have a neurological issue or something because I don't know why he is falling! I also know that I need to get him to eat veggies which I'm concerned about....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its the UVB please replace w/ this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- get as soon as you can --
Karrie

Carlyelaine

Original Poster
I have found one on amazon I can buy and get in 2 days if I can't find one at the pet store when I go after work.
When you say the cover should be off, do you mean I shouldn't buy a fixture for it? How would I mount it without just laying it on the cover? Is that safe? And if I get the T-5 does it really not need to be inside the tank?
Do you think the correct uvb will motivate him to eat his veggies? Thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Carlyelaine":g7bqd3gt said:
I have found one on amazon I can buy and get in 2 days if I can't find one at the pet store when I go after work.
When you say the cover should be off, do you mean I shouldn't buy a fixture for it? How would I mount it without just laying it on the cover? Is that safe? And if I get the T-5 does it really not need to be inside the tank?
Do you think the correct uvb will motivate him to eat his veggies? Thank you!!
You need the fixture what I mean is take the cover off the bulb or do not put it back on -- you want the bulb exposed for the maximum strength of UVB -- the T 5 is a good bulb and can go on top of tank if you have wide hole screen mesh ---- if its a fine screen it will need to go inside the tank ---- here are some things you can use command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties-- here is a link for ties https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
The UVB is the source for the overall health of your dragon -- it is how he gets his nutrients from his food plus digestion and preventing MVB this bulb is known for being one of the best --- as far as eating him eating vegies its depends on him I have a very good UVB in my tank and my little bugger is still being stubborn about eating his vegies :) --- so w / that being said get it changed out and see what happens -- he will be alot happier
Karrie

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
If you haven't already, you can try wiggling the food in front of him for a while, that's how I would usually get Marta to eat. I've also read about people using bee pollen and sprinkling a little on salads or bugs to get their beardies to eat. Another thing, I believe that UVB comes both in a compact coil bulb and a long tube type shape. If you have the coil bulb you'll need to replace that with the long UVB bulb. If you are getting a new UVB, I would recommend a Reptisun or Arcadia bulb. For the falling, I think you should remove the things he's falling off of, and replace them with something that might also get him closer to the basking light, but that also doesn't have steep edges or something else that he wouldn't be able to fall off of. Someone else might be able to help with the actual cause of the problem, I don't really know much in that field. I hope he gets better soon!

Carlyelaine

Original Poster
I've tried wiggling the food in front of him but if it's on the tongs, he won't touch it. And then if it's not moving, he won't touch it. Even if its worms that are alive, they're just not moving at that moment. I'm not sure if maybe he doesn't see them? Or he just really doesn't care if he doesn't think its alive.
I am going to get the reptisun T5 long tube bulb after work!
I have also removed the things he is falling off, I think I am going to look for a ramp for him. Hoping that will be better.

Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Reptisun 10 T5 tube should help a lot. So you are using the Exoterra Solar Glo
Mercury vapor bulb (an all-in-one bulb) type, correct?
What brand of calcium are you using for him? Since he was a rescue, there is no telling
what type of housing he came from, it's hard to determine that when you bring them into
your home.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom