Black bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikefromoakland

105164-7549696308.jpg
I have gray bodied with black stripes. Some have red to orange color on their backs, some have white covering the color. There are also some that look like Bengal tigers. Some look like spotted Bengals. Three look green. Several can't be described. There are 18 clutch mates. I have seen two photos of black morph online, and that's what these look like. Since I have so many, I am wondering if this color is worth developing.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It wont develop into black unfortunately. Many babies come out dark like that, they always lighten up.

Josh D has created trans wits and trans zeros that come out almost pure black, but after a few sheds they become just a dull grey. Hes the closest anyone gotten to black dragons.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree , lots of babies hatch out looking dark and are completely different as they grow. Too bad because they would be cool looking dragons if they stayed really dark. :)

Mikefromoakland

Original Poster
They did not come out this color. They came out reddish tan with maroon striping. Some kept that color, some changed to gray and black. They are maintaining that color. Sometimes it will fade slightly, but it's always gray and black. One male is shedding now, and he is looking more silver than gray. I tried to post more photos to show, but I'm not good with tech.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They always change from what they look like as hatchlings though. I've hatched a lot of beardies and had many that looked like that at any given point as babies. It's interesting to watch them develop though. :)

Mikefromoakland

Original Poster
I have been selling bearded dragons since 1985. I have seen hundreds of babies from hatchling to adult. I have seen color changes and pattern changes. That is not what this is. Their color changes from black and gray to black and silver/white. I have never seen this. No brown. No beige. No tan. Every other dragon I've seen has had brown, beige, or tan mixed in somewhere. 32 years experience with them. Zero experience with genetics. Not much experience with the new colors, and no desire to defraud on a possible new coloration. Finding answers is becoming impossible, lol. Part of the problem is I can see them and you all can only see a photo.

I just had another 15 hatch last night. I'm out of space for fancy colors, but I don't want to sell these until I get a clearer picture of things.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tigers and blue bars usually develop that way. They start out with the dark to black coloring on the far sides of their back after a shed or two. And then with more sheds the tiger starts to be more prevalent or the blue bars.

I haven't bred for as long as AHBD did, but I've bred quite a bit, and followed many breeders and this is what we see from certain pairings.

Unfortunately Josh's fb got taken down so I cant find the pictures of the few black babies hes made (and I mean jet black, full body, no lines down the back, no other colors, just black) and they always lighten. It's from a mix of the zero wit and trans Gene's. And as far as I'm aware, its mainly the trans gene that does it.
And with all trans babies, the visual trans traits start to fade with growth. That's why trans hatchlings are almost see through with their blue bellies, but that never sticks around more than a few sheds.

In some Weros, there is black marbling that seems to stick around better, but it too lightens up a bit. And it's just marbling not full black.

Here is a pic of one of his marbled weros which he sold for 1700 lol
31715-5684931939.jpg

And here is one of the darks he produced. It's the only pic I could find and is probably only half as dark as ones hes done in the past:
31715-8570925686.jpg
His comment under that picture is the trans zeros always lighten with age into a grey color.

As far as I'm aware, hes the only one who has even came close to anything resembling a black dragon. And I follow a lot of breeders lol.

But, grow them out and see how they turn out. Its interesting anyways to see how they can change.

For instance, some of the deep saturated reds start their first few months of their life as a dookie brown color lol.
And blue bars typically look like yours until a few more sheds.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom