Parasite results (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, it says " scanty " , which would be a very tiny amount of coccidia which many beardies have and is not worth treating , the dragons remain healthy .

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply everyone and thanks for all your help. Would you take her to the vets to get this medication or self buy it? I would just be concerned about the dosage and such. Concerning bearded dragons getting these parasites is it due to what type of food they're eating? i used to get her food from Pets at home but now i order from a trusted breeder of bugs online so they are healthier for her to ingest. It's really only her front leg that seems slightly swollen. It's been like that for as long as i can remember really i rescued her at 3 months old, i do look out for signs of MBD but shes developed her jaw completely normal and she never has twitches or problems walking.
Here are some pictures, please mind the lack of things in her cage i have removed her carpet and tiles and some decorations so i can clean them to get rid of the risk of more parasites once i start treating her.
102838-657338184.jpg
102838-1386661209.jpg
102838-3890529587.jpg
102838-2929791976.jpg

The Branches with the hammock is where i normally find her napping or laying under at the moment for the majority of the day, i have just pulled her out to feed and clean her. What's the best way to go about finding out if she is in brumation?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks to be in pretty good body condition. :) Try not to worry too much about low levels of parasites, they are found in most captive reptiles. Over medicating , or repeatedly doing so to try to eradicate every single egg or parasite can actually be worse, destroying their immune system + good bacteria. Parasites can come with most feeder insects, crickets may be more commonly affected but all sorts of beardies carry parasites no matter what they are fed.

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
AHBD":12xexlpb said:
She looks to be in pretty good body condition. :) Try not to worry too much about low levels of parasites, they are found in most captive reptiles. Over medicating , or repeatedly doing so to try to eradicate every single egg or parasite can actually be worse, destroying their immune system + good bacteria. Parasites can come with most feeder insects, crickets may be more commonly affected but all sorts of beardies carry parasites no matter what they are fed.

Thank you, i do my best to make sure she is as healthy as possible. I originally thought it could be parasites thats making her really lethargic but now im thinking of reading in to brumation. Shes only just turned 1 so i wasn't sure if it could occur this early

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Drache613":22h3i5v8 said:
Hello,

There were very few coccidia seen so he opted not to treat them right now. A moderate
count of most likely pinworms were found which is probably around a 2-3 count via the
fecal test which he wanted to treat.
Panacur is usually the medication of choice to treat for pinworms. I would just treat them
& wait on the coccidia since there is very little present. Many times, they do carry small
counts of that in their normal flora anyway. As long as levels don't get too high it usually
doesn't bother them any.
The Arcadia D3 12% tube is a good bulb & can be at a 6-10 inch distance from her. She
has some swelling in one of her legs, do you have a picture of that we could see?
Black cherry extract certainly wont hurt her any. How long has she had some swelling on her
leg?
Her behavior is sound somewhat like a brumation or slow down phase. Since she just turned
1 years old, she is technically old enough to brumate if healthy. If you are going to medicate
though, she will need to bask some during the day to help the meds assimilate & so you can
keep her hydrated too.

Tracie

Okay thank you! ill have a look on ordering some Panacur, or should i take her to the vets to get that so the dosage is right? Any advice on how i can make sure shes brumating, i don't want to turn her lights off or anything until i am completely sure. I believed she turned 1 on either July 1st or June 1st so she is pretty young. Today shes spent most of the day laying under her branches again, her eyes are open but sometimes they are closed.
Thanks -Em

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Em,

They can actually brumate as early as 6 months so a 1 year old dragon wanting to brumate is
quite normal.
She does look good to me, also, so I wouldn't worry too much about her weight at the moment.
Did you decide to medicate for the pinworms then, did the vet prescribe Panacur for you or not?
I agree, sometimes overmedicating really does a lot of harm, if it isn't really needed.
I can help with dosing on the meds, if you do decide to give a short round of them.

You don't have to turn her lights out, but you can shorten her days a little bit, since she isn't
basking much. That way, if she decides she wants to warm up some, she has that option too.
It just sounds like perhaps she is resting some, after a growth spurt, etc too which a lot of them
do.

Tracie

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Drache613":9x9ko2mu said:
Hello Em,

They can actually brumate as early as 6 months so a 1 year old dragon wanting to brumate is
quite normal.
She does look good to me, also, so I wouldn't worry too much about her weight at the moment.
Did you decide to medicate for the pinworms then, did the vet prescribe Panacur for you or not?
I agree, sometimes overmedicating really does a lot of harm, if it isn't really needed.
I can help with dosing on the meds, if you do decide to give a short round of them.

You don't have to turn her lights out, but you can shorten her days a little bit, since she isn't
basking much. That way, if she decides she wants to warm up some, she has that option too.
It just sounds like perhaps she is resting some, after a growth spurt, etc too which a lot of them
do.

Tracie

I haven't decided on taking her to the vets yet, i think i'll order the medicine offline but that would be great if you could help me with dosage. Can brumating include simply laying in the corner in shade, she does sleep often but other times shes also awake with her head up just laying there, not moving to bask or anything. I know shes fine moving ablut on her own because if i move her or offer her a worm she will move for it. How long can this last for? she has been doing it for maybe just over a month.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds good. Sure, I can help with dosing no problem at all. I would just need a
current weight.
Brumation can be a confusing & frustrating time. It can consist primarily of just being more
lazy in general, not really wanting to eat or bask much. The weight should remain relatively
stable but it isn't unusual for them to lose a little bit of weight. Excessive weight loss during
a brumation phase is cause for concern. Has her weight stabilized right now I hope?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Drache613":fc842vz8 said:
Hello,

That sounds good. Sure, I can help with dosing no problem at all. I would just need a
current weight.
Brumation can be a confusing & frustrating time. It can consist primarily of just being more
lazy in general, not really wanting to eat or bask much. The weight should remain relatively
stable but it isn't unusual for them to lose a little bit of weight. Excessive weight loss during
a brumation phase is cause for concern. Has her weight stabilized right now I hope?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Hey, sorry for taking so long to reply. Pan is more awake today and has eaten a few but did sleep almost all day yesterday.According to my scales, which i dont know if they are reliable, Pan is 522g. i might invest in better scales to be more accurate however. Currently avoiding using pronouns with Pan as originally when i got them i was told they were a boy, and then at 6 months at the vet they said that there femoral pores were not very obvious so they thought Pan was a girl. Now after inspecting pan i've notice as they have gotten older their pores have become a lot more obvious and when i lift their tail i see two bumps. :roll: :lol: It's a good job that their name can suit either gender

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We can help determine if you want. Just post a picture of the tail arched back so we can see the underside base of the tail. :)

-Brandon

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
claudiusx":309u19b7 said:
We can help determine if you want. Just post a picture of the tail arched back so we can see the underside base of the tail. :)

-Brandon
102838-814273972.jpg
Hi this is the best one i have got of the tail, i would get another but Pan has gone back to sleeping

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it was probably a good character building experience for him haha :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom