My beardie HATES the outdoors?? Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, today my beardie was acting a little bit strange and glass surfing a lot which he never really does. I figured his right hammock was too high & close to the new UVB light i got so i moved it down and re arranged his branch. He still kept doing it the next day.. I have taken him outside with me before; and he seemed fine while he was on me but today I sat with him on my concrete slab out back. Within a matter of seconds his beard turned pitch black and he would puff his beard out and hiss at me if i went to the right of him or standing; so i remained sitting and his color started to fade back to normal.. He still wouldn't move. But after 30 mins he darted down the concrete slab and attempted to climb up the wall of the house with his mouth open and beard puffed out again.
My boyfriend managed to pick him up but he was still in that stance.
The moment he got inside his beard went back to normal. We put him in his enclosure and he acted like nothing happened.. He still was glass surfing though.
Is this normal behaviour? I thought beardies loved being outside... He turns 1 in October.

Should I take him outside more often? Was he just not used to it and scared?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He probably saw something in the sky such as a bird or a plane that scared him. Things from above tend to freak them out. But it's a good sign he went back to normal once inside :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I had mine out once last summer I have not taken him back out as when I took him out he completely black bearded --- we have a LOT of birds here in my yard so I have just resorted to not taking him out since it freaks him out so bad ------------ he even freaks at times sitting on the back of my chair in my LR - he will dart off the chair and on to the seat and under the throw pillow --- for cover --- since it stresses him out so bad w/ taking him outside I just dont do it------------
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I have an idea. Next time try sitting in the open doorway, so he is inside but can smell and see outside first, the door can be open a little or whatever makes sense to you. Judging on his reaction that can help you decide if he is in a calm mood or if he looks agitated in some way.

Maybe someone else can help me collaborate, but since he is 1 y.o. he may start having puberty hormone surges. So its not his fault if he has an off day due to surging hormones. Do you best to keep him happy in his enclosure and if he is calm then exploring in the house or outside.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Behavior

I agree that something may have scared him. Don't force outside time if it's stressful, as was also mentioned. Perhaps a good compromise to start with is providing time in a window sill to look outside from the protection of indoors. If that works out well for a while, perhaps later on you can try some outside time again but I'd go easy with it. If he doesn't like it then maybe he's an indoor dragon and that's OK.

ohitslexluthor

Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone!!!

I will try every single thing listed. :)
(Edit: if he is an indoor beardie i'm more than okay with that! ❤)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom