Bad signs - Bloated, black beard, no appetite, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so glad to hear he is doing better -- I see he is basking what kind of UVB do you have in his tank? I see it sitting on top of the screen ?
Karrie

KarrieRee":3trub01b said:
I see he is basking what kind of UVB do you have in his tank? I see it sitting on top of the screen ?

He mentioned upthread "It's the 20" Reptisun T8 hood with the 18" 15 watt T8 Reptisun 10.0 UVB fluorescent bulb."

OP- with a T8 bulb you really want to have it mounted inside the enclosure and not shining through the screen- lots of your precious UVB is being blocked by the screen material.

ElisaAndSteven

Original Poster
HoopDiddyDiddy":1vc0xl63 said:
KarrieRee":1vc0xl63 said:
I see he is basking what kind of UVB do you have in his tank? I see it sitting on top of the screen ?

He mentioned upthread "It's the 20" Reptisun T8 hood with the 18" 15 watt T8 Reptisun 10.0 UVB fluorescent bulb."

OP- with a T8 bulb you really want to have it mounted inside the enclosure and not shining through the screen- lots of your precious UVB is being blocked by the screen material.

The one you see there is actually the ZooMed PowerSun UV 160W. Heat and UVB in one.

The T8 light is sitting over the screen on the other side of his tank just to supplement the PowerSun and give a little extra light for our guy. We actually remove the screen most of the time we're home, as you can see below, so he should be getting better rays like that. We feel like he enjoys the openness as well, but who knows. Don't really have a way of mounting it inside the tank though unfortunately.

105039-4245742872.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 160w PowerSun is pretty powerful. That should provide a good amount of UVB at 12-18'' above the main basking area (a little closer to 12'' if it's shining through a mesh top).

ElisaAndSteven

Original Poster
Hi Cooper,

That's about where we have it at is 12" above his basking area sitting on the screen. We have rocks at different levels in the area as well so he kinda moves around to where he's comfortable. It's been hotter here lately being summer and all, so he's been laying right on the dirt occasionally too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like it should be OK then. The temps do fluctuate with the seasons so you'll need to watch carefully and make some adjustments as needed in order to maintain a healthy gradient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom