Is Jimmia finally going to brumate/ hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Is my little man Jimmia finally going to brumate/ hibernate? because he has been asleep for 16 hours today in his log;
he did slow down on his food and was getting fidgety the last few days;
Do I have to keep his lights on still? I usually keep his lights on for a 16 to 18 hour period, and gets feed 3 times a day :| :)

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
please help - he has been sleeping for 36 hours now - what do I do? how do I check if responsive?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep the lights on.

How old is the UV light ?

18 hours is too long, I'd set them for 14-15hrs per day.

Pretty likely Jimma is having a slow down for winter. But will likely come out shortly looking for a feed and to bask.

So be prepared to feed and to offer some water.

My two (6 month old) are showing no signs of wanting to go down for a long nap.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have/ had change his lights every 6 months so far, I’m due for new one at end of this month (July) :) his lights are only on for 16 hours but if I’m late from work at night than it’s 18 hours but 95% time it’s usually only for 16 hour periods :)

UPDATE: 01-30 early in morning, I took him out of his hide around 19-30 (7-30pm at night), I just check if he is was being responsive, he opened his eyes, I had gave him some fresh water, he drank some, I checked his gums, I checked his legs and arms, I see or feel nothing seems to be out ordinary yet, I guess I was just worried, he than climbed back into his log where he was sleeping than went back to sleep from 20-00 (8-00pm) , so I guess I will just keep eye on him for the next few days and keep offering him some fresh new nutrients :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd do the change now since you've been running the UV for up to 18 hr per day …. this will have degraded the phosphors a bit fasted than you planned for. Too bad you don't have Solarmeter model 6.2 handy to check the UVB output, but I think if you did you'd find it's dropped considerably (as will have the UVA output) which is very likely a big contributer to why Jimma has been sleepy.

I expect you'll find a quick change in activity with a new UV source in place.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As mentioned, I keep the lights on the same schedule but let him sleep if he wants to. Keep track of his weight since that should stay pretty stable over time. He will likely wake up a bit if you interact with him but will be drawn to sleep. When Darwin brumates he acts like he took some sleeping pills, very groggy most of the time.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
UPDATE at 13-20 (1-20pm Tuesday early afternoon),

Jimmia was awake this morning early, I guess he just needed a long sleep because was colder than usual for where I live, but he ate like crazy, he ate all his vegetables and all his bugs/ worms and than he came him usual self and was being able to be held :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good cuz I was sweatin thinking the jimmia pictures were gonna slow down.

-Brandon

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
so jimmia is actually in hibernation or brumate, it’s been 1 week, I’ve tried not to pick him up, he is still breathing, I’m so lost and bored without him so I hope he will be okay :)

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2ynri5fl said:
Darn!! I was just wondering where our jimmia was! :(

-Brandon

I know hey Brandon :( I wanted to take him to a concert I went to last night as had it all organised where I was allowed to take him :) but bam the little fella wants to hibernate :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JIMMIA":3dbmor38 said:
claudiusx":3dbmor38 said:
Darn!! I was just wondering where our jimmia was! :(

-Brandon

I know hey Brandon :( I wanted to take him to a concert I went to last night as had it all organised where I was allowed to take him :) but bam the little fella wants to hibernate :(

I advise you revise the conditions of your wildlife keepers' permit. Taking a pet dragon to a concert is not permissible under any state's or territory's wildlife keepers' licence (in Australia), only place you are allowed to take the reptile is to be rehomed or to the vet.

Plus it would be extremely stressful to little Jimmia as well. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I too have one who's in brumation, Fluffy the water skink is spending a lot of time in her little "house" and only comes out once or twice a week or so for drink and to check the food dish . Everyone else is wide awake and basking and feeding and wanting interaction each day.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Jimmia is my emotional support animal, I’ve got a letter, and where I take him, no one seems to have a problem, I get weird looks but it not bother me, he is very friendly, he lets people give him pats or hold, I don’t let everybody do it though, I also get asked sometimes where is he when I do not take him uptown for walks, this world needs to know they’re a beautiful creatures and they’re harmless creatures and you should not be scared of them :) :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lol I love that people no jimmia so well that they ask where he is if they see you without him! :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom