Odd Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I noticed a little odd behavior with my beardie. Right now I have his lights on for 14 hours. I have it in sync with nature. Sunrise to sunset. The thing is I noticed hes going to sleep a bit early than when the lights go off, approx. at 12 hours he seems like he wants to go to sleep. He will go into his cave and borrow himself in there. Also, he isnt as active as he was. Should I bring him to the vet for a fecal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lets start w / the lighting in the tank -- can you post pics of his tank and lighting please? We can go from there and start narrowing it down
Karrie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Sure.
Here's how his setup looks.
92311-7006576480.jpg
On the far left is the 100 watt megaray, next to it is supplemental heat and then on the far right is 22" reptisun T5HO tube so in case he wants to cool down he still can benefit from UVB as well as escape from the lighting. He doesn't seem to want to go up and bask unless I put him there. Also, I have several different lighting for him (T5HO Arcadia 12% and Reptisun 10.0). He seemed to really enjoy the megaray before as I have earlier photos that he was under the megaray bulb and now he seems like he is either far away from it or doesn't want to bask at all. His temps are anywhere from 95 to 105 degrees. I also have a Solarmeter 6.5 to measure the output. I have all the tools but something just seems off with him.

I also have noticed that hes been going through shedding which can put beardies off but his sheds seem to really take a long time even with his baths that I supply him.

Hence why I am thinking it may be a good idea to bring him to the vet for a fecal and to see what the vet thinks or suggest?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Quick update: I double checked on his Reptisun 10.0 T5HO linear bulb and the UVI output is really low approx. 1-2 so I went ahead and dropped of it at a local hardware to dispose it. Currently, now he has the recent Arcadia 12% T5HO bulb and the Megaray bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure if your gonna need both of those UVB's I would like some one else to answer that question -- we dont want to over UVB him -- keep an eye on his behavior - I have the Arcadia 14% in my tank but just the one - I have a reg basking bulb 150 watt in my tank --
Karrie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Btw, I got rid of the Megaray and only using it for when hes out running around the house or as a backup. He just has now the Arcadia 12% tube going across the enclosure with 50-75w basking bulb. He does seem to be doing better. As he is now spending time on his basking area. It is very possible it might of been "too strong" for him as I thought the same and he was hiding from too much UVB. Thank you for the suggestions will keep an eye on him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may just be seasonal behavior. Darwin has been acting much sleepier in the last few weeks too. Today he didn't want to come out of his hide to eat or do his morning routine. This is in line with what he did last year too. Just a "begin brumation" signal of some sort rather than a problem I think.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mine tend to always get sleepy/tired before lights go off too, and I have them on for 13 hours I believe.

Tombo and Moro are both too young to brumate right now, but I think it has more to do with the temperatures. My house starts to cool down around 5 or 6 in the afternoon. And by 7 or 8 they start to get sleepy looking. Lights off at 9.

I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as your lighting and temperatures are proper, and your dragon acts healthy otherwise.

-Brandon

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He is beginning to hide again. He will bask for a little then look for a place to hide. I double checked on the temperatures and I lowered the wattage just a bit since he is older and I have noticed he does not like really hot temperatures as he did when he was younger. Reducing the temperature just a bit seems to help but he just looks overall tired/lazy and definitely not eating his greens/food anymore :(

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I took my beardie outside as its nice and very warm, he loved it, he had his mouth open he even saw the airplanes above us very far away, acts very attentive. Spent about 15 mins and then decided to come back in. Gave him a quick bath and he sat underneath his heat lamp for a few minutes.. then decided to go hide.
92311-4997377512.jpg
Is it normal for them to do this? I can completely understand if he wanted to go in "shade" but still active and alert but he is ready for sleep.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Update: I added a bit of more heat to his enclosure since I keep the A/C on now which stays around 75 degrees, hes doing much better now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom