T5 running the length of enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I had a question about the t5 and running the length of the enclosure with a 12inch high viv. I will upgrade to a bigger viv but for now is it safe to use now. The basking spot is about 9 to 10 inches from the t5 and rest of tank is about 10 to 12 inches with a few spots he can get closer. It's also on top of a screen not mesh it's got bigger holes.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not ideal.

Rule of thumb is the UV tube covers at most 3/4 the length of the tank, this gives the reptile a zone of low to zero UV to retire too when it don't feel the need to "sunbake".

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Would I be better off just using my megaray and raise it up with my lamp stand it would be 12 inches from face of bulge to my guys back.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rubble1212":b8rulx9s said:
Would I be better off just using my megaray and raise it up with my lamp stand it would be 12 inches from face of bulge to my guys back.

If the tank is small : maybe .
You need to check the Iso-irradiance chart for your globe.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The megaray at 12-15 inches is ok. How does that workout for your temps?
If I remember correctly you said they were good at that distance?

UV is necessary, but it's also necessary to provide an escape for it which is why full length isnt really recommended and 12 inches bulb to floor in all locations throughout the tank is really too close for a t5. You want an area with little to no uv. A gradient just like you provide with heat.

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Temperature is good with megaray about 95 to 102 depending on room temperature. Think I will stick with megaray until I build the bigger enclosure. Thanks again for the help

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rubble1212":2e5u9jqs said:
That's over my head what does that mean. My tank is 36x18x12h

ie
UVB-allMegaRays.gif

and or
37837-f1beaea0522c2598ee0e6296c78f66f5.jpg

Similar charts are around for all wattages of MegaRay globe.

The top iso-irradiance chart is much easier to use. Aim for UVB flux about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rubble1212":1rar498r said:
That's over my head what does that mean. My tank is 36x18x12h

At 10'' or so shining through mesh the distance for the T5 is OK. I would set it either along the front or back of the tank to create a gradient along the depth of the tank since it's tougher to create one along the length without using a shorter bulb. I have one that runs the length of the enclosure and I set it along the front and it's fine.

A 100w MegaRay is good at around 12'' but has a pretty narrow beam (my testing has shown the same as in the chart kingofnobbys posted). I prefer using those as portable basking spots and travel lamps since the intense UVB output is so narrow. Better to use the T5 in your main tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom