Slight mouth gape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushy

Muushu is officially 6 months old. He LOVES to lick everything in sight, I know this is just what they do to get a sense of their environment but when Muushu does this sometimes the top of his mouth lyes slightly agape. If I gently touch the tip of his nose he closes his mouth, he shows no trouble closing his mouth but he does this all the time.
His tank is 4 ft long
His basking light is the Arcadia 75 Watt bulb
He has had an issue with MBD in the past so his food is dusted daily. The morning feed with nutribal by vetark (he doesnt eat enough vegetables despite being offered them so to boost his vitamin count he has this, also great for his MBD) and at night it's dusted with regular plain calcium also by vetark
He weighs 151g according to his recent weigh in
He shows all signs of a healthy beardie, bright eyes, plump tail, non wrinkly skin, very active especially when out of tank, good appitite etc.

104696-5047214227.jpg
104696-3059563725.jpg

Is this normal or should I be concerned? And if I should be what should i do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about the mouth gape could be just him but you did not mention a UVB -- does he have a UVB? If so what kind brand and bulb and where in tank is it ? on top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie

Mushy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":hix8ddum said:
Not sure about the mouth gape could be just him but you did not mention a UVB -- does he have a UVB? If so what kind brand and bulb and where in tank is it ? on top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie
The Arcadia is his UV light and it in on the left side of the tank giving a temp of 30 - 35 degrees Celsius. There is no screen on the Viv as it is wooden with sliding glass

Mushy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":k9j2v1br said:
Karrie
104696-3909945148.jpg
This is his tank

Mushy":3gerezrg said:
The Arcadia is his UV light and it in on the left side of the tank giving a temp of 30 - 35 degrees Celsius. There is no screen on the Viv as it is wooden with sliding glass

Are you referring to the Arcadia 75 Watt bulb that you mentioned?
That is not a UVB bulb, that is a basking bulb.
He needs a tube type UVB bulb as well.

If I misunderstood I apologize- it's just that you only said "His basking light is the Arcadia 75 Watt bulb " and "The Arcadia is his UV light"
Is this what you are referring to?

s-l640.jpg

Mushy

Original Poster
HoopDiddyDiddy":432ivy2w said:
Mushy":432ivy2w said:

If I misunderstood I apologize- it's just that you only said "His basking light is the Arcadia 75 Watt bulb " and "The Arcadia is his UV light"

s-l640.jpg
Yes I was referring to this however I did not know this bulb did not carry uvb the package claimed it carried UV rays however this could be an error of mine, the only time I can afford a uvb tube is thursday, should he be ok until then?

Mushy

Original Poster
Mushy":173izl67 said:
HoopDiddyDiddy":173izl67 said:
Mushy":173izl67 said:

s-l640.jpg
Yes I was referring to this however I did not know this bulb did not carry uvb the package claimed it carried UV rays however this could be an error of mine, the only time I can afford a uvb tube is thursday, should he be ok until then?
However the bulb I have is not halogen is white spotlight

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so what are your basking temps? He needs a bright white basking light I am not sure about that halogen bulb ---- your basking temps should be 105-110 --- you need a UVB ASAP---- it is crucial for the health digestion and behavior of the dragon --- is he eating? In order to get the accurate basking temps you need a Infrared Heat Gun purchased from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes or on line --- he isnt gonna grow w/ out the proper lighting in the tank and his health will deteriorate--here is some info for UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please get one ASAP --- I have the Arcadia 14% tube in my tank
Karrie

Mushy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":mqjo07yt said:
Ok so what are your basking temps? He needs a bright white basking light I am not sure about that halogen bulb ---- your basking temps should be 105-110 --- you need a UVB ASAP---- it is crucial for the health digestion and behavior of the dragon --- is he eating? In order to get the accurate basking temps you need a Infrared Heat Gun purchased from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes or on line --- he isnt gonna grow w/ out the proper lighting in the tank and his health will deteriorate--here is some info for UVB's
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please get one ASAP --- I have the Arcadia 14% tube in my tank
Karrie

I understand all that but one thing I'm having difficulty understanding is fixtures, like where would you recommend I get one and which one is right? I'm seeing a bunch of different sizes, brands, shapes which fixture and bulb works best?

Mushy

Original Poster
Mushy":30ivm5kh said:
KarrieRee":30ivm5kh said:
Karrie

I understand all that but one thing I'm having difficulty understanding is fixtures, like where would you recommend I get one and which one is right? I'm seeing a bunch of different sizes, brands, shapes which fixture and bulb works best?
And yes he's showing all signs of good health, good eating, healthy poop, regular poop, good weight gain, bright eyes, very active etc

Mushy":1g9tc9jp said:

I recommend this fixture with this bulb, each sized to span two thirds of each enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go here and look www.pangeareptiles.com --- I got my fixture and Arcadia 14% bulb from them-- you can also go to www.lightmyreptiles.com or you can go to the store Petsmart and buy a fixture and bulb there --- you want a Reptisun 10.0 bulb look for either the T 8 or T 5 usually they sell the T 8's not as strong as bulb and it would need to be changed out every 6 months ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom