Very sick dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldyj1224

Hello everyone I am new to this group. It's going to be a long post but my baby is really sick and needs y'all's help.
So the Tuesday after Easter my friend who cleans apartments across the street from me called me and said there was a lizard in a tank in a closet of an apartment she was cleaning and the people that was leaving there had left the following Wednesday so he had been in this closet for 6 days. It was dark there was no food no water nothing but a 10 gallon tank with paper towels and a rock. On the tank was 3 month old male breaded dragon on neon green. So I took the little guy home and slowly have him some super worms and water. I went to the pet store and bought a basking light. That's was all I had money for at the time. By Tuesday of the following week I took him to the vet because he wouldn't eat. The vet said he was fine just needed the adjustment period. So I gave him baths every other day. He would eat 5 roaches a day. Then he got to where he wasn't eating at all. So I went to a 2nd vet and she said he only weighed 34 grams. He also had coccida and pinworms. So she gave me some meds. I went and bought some things for his tank and a T5 Hood with the reptisun 10.0 bulb. Finished the treatment went back and the vet said everything was all clear. So a week goes by I have had him for over a month at this point we go back and she gives me the all clear still. So another week goes by Still not eating I decided it was time for a 3rd vet. So went and got him check he still weighed 35 grams( not a typo) the vet said he has coccidia pinworms giardia and some other unknown flagellant all level 4s. He also said his muscles and bones were very week so he was giving a shot for calcium a shot of b12 and sub fluids. Oral meds wise he was on a treatment of metronidazole and panacure for 3 days along side a liquid calcium. I started force feeding him oxbow carnivore care , benebac and a green smoothie that I added bsfl. 3 weeks later we go back he still weights 34 grams all parasites are gone and his muscle mass has improved drastically. His bones are even stronger. But he still has level 2 giardia. so we did another dose of the same meds and vet said come back in 3 weeks well that was this past Wednesday poor guy lost 4 grams so now he was only 30 grams but his still no other parasites except for a tad bit of giardia still but still not eating on his own. So the vet wanted me to try the AD dog food which I would mix with 75% water . After talking to a few people I mostly decided against this due to the risk of gout. So now he is on Albion and panacure. The vet said he may have an infection we can't see due to him being to small to take blood which is why he is on the Albion. So I need any and all advice I can get. What am I missing what am I doing wrong?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What size tank do you have him in now? The T 5 is great but if the bulb is too close your going to be over UVBing him -------------- the T 5 should be 10-11 inches from basking area --- what are his basking temps? you need to get a accurate reading from a Infrared temp gun you can get that from Home Depot Lowes for around $10--- poor dragon all these drugs --- If hes a baby he needs the basking temps need to be around 105-110--- thats gonna help w/ digestion and getting rid of those parasites - he will be able to fight them off better -- the other health issues some others on here will haft to advise -- I am not real savy on the medical stuff
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon isn't doing well, he is quite small! He has had a rough start to life.
So essentially his fecal has cleared up drastically, correct?
I think for now, I would give his system a rest from medication. Too much medication will
really make them very ill. He can probably boot everything out of his system now, if his
fecal shows he got rid of most everything else.
I agree, do not give the A&D canned dog food, it is too hard on the kidneys. You are giving
a liquid calcium the vet gave you?
Are you keeping him warm overnight, too for help with boosting his immune system while he
isn't doing well?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Ldyj1224

Original Poster
Sorry for delayed response my baby took a turn for the worst and I put him to sleep yesterday. He fought a very hard fight til his last breath. R.i.p ROACH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom