Supers as a staple

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Supers as a staple

Postby Rubble1212 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm

I know it's probably been asked a thousand times but what are your thoughts on super worms as a staple feeder. I've heard both sides but I'm still curious. Thanks
Rubble1212
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Supers as a staple

Postby claudiusx » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 pm

I use them for adults as a staple but they are severely limited. That being said, still the best way to health is variety. I dont really like using the term staple just because it implies that they are all that need to be fed. Variety is key :)

For growing dragons I dont use them as staples because the fat content they have makes it impossible to give enough protein without overdoing it on fat. They still get some for varieties sake but it's not the bulk of the insect diet.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Rubble1212 wrote:I know it's probably been asked a thousand times but what are your thoughts on super worms as a staple feeder. I've heard both sides but I'm still curious. Thanks

Superworms are NOT suitable to use as a staple for any beardied dragon.

Ref to viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

They are better used as treats and bribes and very sparingly ( never more than 2 or 3 supers in a sitting ).
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:07 am

Nothing in those charts say anything. Everyone knows they have higher fat levels than other feeder options. And FWIW, I dont feed more than 3-4 a day to adults 3 times a week. That is suitable to meet protein and fat requirements.

Fat is a key nutrient in the diet. Adults dont need much protein, and being fed salads and low fat insects especially low fat insects in small numbers leaves the dragons body starved for dietary fats.

Adults are susceptible to organ and other health issues when fed a diet too high in protein. which means your adults aren't going to be getting much fat in their diets if only fed a few low fat feeders.

Fat can also cause issues. But that's why they are limited. And like I said, all my dragons get varied diets, and have for the past 20 years.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding