New 40 gallon tank and beardie is not as warm as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You didnt mention what your temps are in your tank.

If you've upgraded in size and are still using the same heat bulb it most likely isnt hot enough. Especially since the 40gs are taller than the 20gs.

-Brandon

Marley305

Original Poster
90 degrees. Also can someone link the housing for this lighting. The one I linked didn’t fit .. grrrr. Bummer. I would ideally like a below the counter lighting fixture

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
With the T 5 it can go on top of screen ---- but you will haft to get a hood for a T 5 and I dont think they make them that size I have a link for a 18" under the counter from Home Depot but I am not sure they make a 22" some others on the forum might have some ideas of where to get one--- keep the bulb that is a good bulb--- as far as heat what ever you were using for the 20 gallon I would go the next size up it is trial and error ---- just make sure your getting an accurate temp w/ a Infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes around $10
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
90 degrees where? At your basking surface, your hot side, or your cold side? You need to know all 3 temps and you should be measuring with a temp gun or a digital with probe end no dial stick ons :)

-Brandon

Marley305

Original Poster
I don’t have a digital one. Can someone link it to buy it, please. I have the round ones. It says 90 inside. I have it placed on the inside to the left of the tank.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately those are very innaccurate, and as you can imagine, they don't give you the basking surface temp, which is the most important temp in the tank really.
I will send you a link to a cheap digital with probe on amazon, and also a link to a very good IR temp gun in the $20 range if you so choose.

You can also go to pretty much any petstore now a days and pick up a digital with probe end for under 10 bucks usually. But if you want to buy here are the links: (links direct you to amazon.com)

Digital with probe end (2 pack - $10)
IR Gun ($25)

Temperatures have to be known. Once we know them, we can answer your question if he is warm enough. And then we can make any adjustments necessary :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd spend the 8 or so extra dollars on the one I linked to. It has a lot of features you will wish you had if you buy the repti one. But that will work if you want to use it, as long as your basking surface is a common material such as wood or brick.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom