Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DorgEndo":2iy9xeop said:
Pottery should not make pottery noises

Hahaha! No, it shouldn't lol!
But when you have little trouble makers running around, lots of things that shouldn't make noise starts making noise! I have a 1 year old human baby, and shes learning that she has more fun going round the house getting into stuff than she does coming to mom and dad! Luckily, my dragons are less mischievous than that lol.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-6371381050.jpg
Devlyn is getting so big. From 186 grams to 344 grams. Nearly double the dragon. A lot of effort to help her eat well and eat enough.
103228-8023199485.jpg
She is so much bigger than her log hang out spots. She has a 4ft by 17 inch by 19 inch home. A tad smaller than the recommended 4x2x2 feet. I'm not sure how I could make it fit in my house, but I can see how 6x2x2 feet would be very nice for a full grown adult dragon.

She is about 14.5 inches long. She should still get a few more inches! My big long girl.

Apparently the PetSmart has a "reptile round up" coming up on Saturday. I've brought my girl to the pet store twice now. She handles car rides so well. Her first few car rides to come home and to the vet she was a bit of Blackbeard, nothing major. Now she looks around, bright colors, white belly. She lets people at the pet store per her, I tell them how with two fingers down her back.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's what I was just saying! Devlyn has grown so much!

Impressive that she lets strangers touch her. You must have done a good job with her :D

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
claudiusx":36imekon said:
That's what I was just saying! Devlyn has grown so much!

Impressive that she lets strangers touch her. You must have done a good job with her :D

-Brandon
Thank you, I'm doing my best. I've taken her out on little adventures when she seemed in the mood for it. Such as she rarely ever glass surfs. When I took her to the pet store yesterday she had been glass surfing and already been out in the backyard and still seemed happy to keep going. Maybe we'll go out on Saturday to the pet store, but if she isn't happy I won't stress her out. She is the Mayor. I have to do what she orders :D

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It's the weekend, time for a Devlyn update!

We did go to the pet store having their small "reptile round up" at a PetSmart. There were 2 bearded dragons, 2 snakes, and 2 tortoises.

I've never seen the problems some people report online with local pet shops, especially a chain store, having terrible advice or treating animals poorly. Like bearded dragon babies, I've never seen cohabitation for babies at any pet store in my area. They are always solo, have UVB lights, basking, get veggies every day. I adopted Devlyn from a lady almost 2 hours from where I am, and it sounded like there Devlyn was in a store where the conditions sucked. My local stores are always fine.

Anyway Devlyn did great. She handles car rides like a champ. About 15 minute drive each way. We stayed for 20 minutes to keep it short. She was white belly the whole time, calm, looking around. She got within a few feet of 2 adult male dragons. Barry who was 3 years and Goliath who was 6 years. Big beautiful male dragons, there might have been 500-600 gram monster boys, huge! The males had already been out for at least an hour and were a bit cold, Devlyn was still mostly warm even after the car ride (she was in my sweatshirt preserving heat). She looked at the other beardies and didn't react. A little stink eye but not much. She let one of the herp handler people pet her and she had a very dragon response of not even aknowledging the existence of this hooman , lol.

It was funny when one of the herp lady presentors was like "Oh she looks healthy, what kind of set up do you have at home?" I could see her brace for me to say something inadequate, the lady breathed an obvious sigh of relief as I explained Devlyn's home set up with the size, lights, UVB, her diet, etc. The herp ladies all seemed happy to see someone bring their own herp.

There were so many dogs, this wasn't one of the dog or cat days people. One crazy dog keep barking, pulling on his leash, trying to jump at people, just really poorly trained (not trained or cared for in truth) and he was definitely a grown adult dog, I don't know breeds, some medium large pointy eared dog with medium length fur. The other dogs were all on good behavior.

Devlyn got to see her favorite ramp she loves to hang out in the store. 3 of them in a row. That was something she looked at more and I let her crawl on them too. She loves her ramp. In her hypothetical future 6 foot long enclosure I would have to get her multiple ramps because she loves them. I could fit 1 more in her current set up with some changes, I'm thinking about it.
103228-2867638967.jpg
View media item 13105A good day. She got superworms, yum yum yum yum!

I'm also going crazy researching a probiotic for her. She is by all accounts doing so well. She gets loose stools sometimes. Gaining weight. She is a very good eater now. She doesn't even seem picky with vegetables, as long as I offer greens before any bugs she will eat greens. She had 1 day this week of just greens to start the transition from juvenile to subadult diet style. I gave her less overall bugs all week too. A very different situation from when I first got her and would spend a few hours every day encouraging her to eat bugs because she wouldn't and she lost some weight when I first got her.

The vet said unless she shows other signs of illness the loose stools may be the change in diet I started to do with her. More vegetables than bugs means more moisture and looser stools. I don't water her greens, I do wash them and Pat dry. What he said makes sense, but I think a probiotic won't hurt as long as it is Beardie approved. My 3 choices for probiotic are: Benebac
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DGYIC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_632mDbSMHBMVB

According to the beautiful dragon website the only strain listed to prove reduction of harmful bacteria and yeast is Lactobacillus acidophilus. My brain needs a break trying to research this stuff. It's a special kind of exhausting. Plus my parents want to take me to brunch tomorrow which means they have an ulterior motive to bring up to me. Ugh. I'd rather pull weeds from my garden but I'll go...then buy one of the probiotics online

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-2454795153.jpg
My Dad and my narcissistic Aunt just came over without calling or texting first. My Dad was caught up in the narcissism and I could see the regret on his face as she came and judged my entire world. Devlyn was basking and happy before my Aunt came over. Now she is behaving like this. You and me both girl...

My cat Greysie stress vomited from my crazy Aunt. Send fireworks, or something else fun. Actually, I'm going to brumate myself until my Aunt leaves. Good night!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha, my girl Naughtica I swear lived off my energy too!

Wow that's impressive. Cat vomit inducing family members! haha.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
claudiusx":2j2u89yp said:
Haha, my girl Naughtica I swear lived off my energy too!

Wow that's impressive. Cat vomit inducing family members! haha.

-Brandon
Cats are known for vomiting, but not my Greysie. She does not puke unless something is wrong. Maybe once a year she pukes. Super rare. she vomited three times in a row.

My frog Charlie was chirping over her talking, my nocturnal frog woke up and tried to out do her chattering. There is something off with her, I've always felt it my whole life, this is more confirmation she is wrong. I'm glad she doesn't have kids or pets because she is off.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha honestly I'm sorry for you but at least the story and the mental images of your frog getting annoyed by her are making me laugh lol.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hahaha, I love that exasperated look. Here's Otto's version of "We are not amused", captured at the end of the 1st half of the snore-fest that was the last Super Bowl. Hopefully the aunt leaves soon. I can't imagine someone not liking Devlyn Town! I'd hang out there! :lol:

100140-5041550240.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
HAPPY HATCH DAY DEVLYN! 1 years of being an awesome amazing dragon friend! I adopted you at 6 months old and I'm so happy I did. Giving you the best life I can do for you girl

I don't know your real hatch date but this day is close enough, we will count it as yours

103228-674392097.jpg

10 butterworms for the birthday girl

103228-8220719765.jpg

Birthday tongue faces

103228-2349277390.jpg

And she has her belly shedding really good, her back will be next. Devlyn doesn't know it yet but her birthday present is an indoor dig bin. Waiting for her big body shed to finish, I don't want sand and dirt getting stuck between old shed and new scales. I think she'll forgive me for a late present ; )

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Devlyn's adventures continue

As usual mayor Devlyn had to inspect the city development and planning. She walked through the local park and was not displeased. Then Devlyn visited the capitol on need-to-know only mayoral business

103228-3171569826.jpg

103228-7359109916.jpg

Then Devlyn had a pedicure soak at home

103228-7223061248.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FIRST!!
:laughing6:

Mayor devlyn huh? Looks like she has that whole city under control!
Love the pics it sounds like she really enjoys her outside time with you :)

LOL that last picture is great.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Thanks Brandon.

Devlyn is an expert at communicating like a bearded dragon. I'm very glad so many other keepers have documented this behavior or this color change and what that typically means. Devlyn gets to go outside once or twice a week for real sunlight. In my backyard I gauge how she is feeling and she tells me with her color. If she is darkening her colors we will stay in back yard. Sometimes she will puff her beard, never that much, but she is good at saying with that beard puff she would rather stay inside, today is not a good outside day. If she being bright colors, white belly, looking around curious, then maybe we take a trip somewhere. Even closeby to the park 1 block away just to see if she is enjoying herself outside that day. I always make sure Devlyn gets at least 2 days in a row where I don't handle her, usually Tuesday and Wednesday. That way she gets chill relax time.

I have a special trip planned for Devlyn in the next few weeks. When she has a day that she shows positive signs going out is okay. I'm going to make a whole seperate post about it, its special :-D

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom