I put bananas in with my black fly larva... good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 600 black fly larvae in a Dmall plastic bin with organic soil and I had some veggies in there for them to
Munch. Well my boyfriend put a banana in there for them to eat and now it’s so gross, smells awful and there is fruit flies everywhere plus my dragon is eating these larvae that have been eating the bananas, is this bad? If so, how do I clean this up without losing all my larva? It’s so awful, is it healthy for my dragon to be eating these bugs that have been feeding on banana? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The banana shouldn't cause harm but the fruit flies are annoying. I've had the best luck trapping them by putting some apple cider vinegar in a mason jar and setting up a paper cone in the top. It takes a while to get them all though. If you need to replace the rotting food, try filling the container with warm water and then strain the larvae off the top of the water and put them in a fresh bin.

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
It seems the banana is now gone, so it seems ok now. I might just add more compost and good for them. I’ve been using organic compost top soil and everything seemed fine, is that a good idea? Thanks

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Ok good, thank you! Just wanna make sure I’m doing this right! I’ve had some hatch into flies, so
I’m assuming I was doing it right but wanted
To also make sure it’s healthy for the dragon too! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom