*URGENT* Beardie has trouble walking, lifeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilderup

Hi everyone,

my 1½ year old beardie has had some downturn the last couple of weeks, weird poops(not digesting completely, pooping once a week, not sticking together), and the last couple of days she has not eaten. She drinks A LOT of water, like, I have never seen this behaviour. So just today when I woke up, I checked on her, and she seems like life is slowly draining out of her. She barely moves, can barely keep her eyes open and when she tries to walk or crawl around, she moves like she can't coordinate her legs, and one of her frontlegs is completely not moving at times. I've been so worried the last couple of days, and now it seems serious. She is very tired, even after just waking up but breathes normally.

Thanks in advance...

Vilderup

Original Poster
*UPDATE*

I got her to poop a little. The stool is runny. Her urate is red/rusty colored, which also suggests parasites. All my vet doctors are not open until monday which is in 2 days(typical) and if I were to get a booked time now, they charge 200% which means just for the consultation, it will be around 347 dollars, and that is not even from a doctor who specializes in exotic animals, only dogs, cats, etc. They can't even make a test or give her antibiotics.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of your tank and lighting --- it has every thing to do w/ their behavior digestion and over all health---- what kind of UVB are you using brand and bulb? Where is it in the tank ???? top of screen or in side the tank ? If its a coil please get rid of it and get this --- ASAP
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- it sounds like it might be MBD but I am not the med expert here -- some others on here that have that experience would need to weigh in and advice on what to do
Karrie

Vilderup

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

most of the symptoms my beardie (Chili) is experiencing is parasites. I don't think it is MBD since she does not have any deformation, etc. (But we can off course not be too certain) She can't walk because she is too weak to move(very weak). I used a 160w or 125w (can't really remember) SolarGlo All-In-One by ExoTerra.

I am going to get an acute vet appointment on monday so we can be sure what it is. If parasites, it might be too late for my girl since most don't survive 3+ weeks and she has had bad poop for 3-4 weeks now. The severe symptons of not eating, tired, can't walk just started today. She was acting fine two days ago. I'm just so worried for her :cry:

I have a picture of her poop this morning:
101468-6064429991.jpg

And the setup of my tank: (I put blankets on the sides, to prevent her being scared of various things. She is a little lethargic aswell.)
101468-3872815529.jpg
101468-9124927148.jpg
She looks a little malnourished, and that is because she has lost some weight the past week. I'm surprised she can keep her head up, she couldn't earlier this morning. Maybe she is hopefully getting better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the basking temps in the tank and how are you taking them ? Did you have her into the vet for check of parasites-- have you been feeding her anything red to cause the poop to be red? I dont think parasites would cause her not to walk --- that sounds like a MBD issue--- I am not savy on those all in one bulbs --- they are too hard to keep basking temps at what they should be --- please get a accurate basking temp like w/ a infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes - the funky poop could be from not hot enough temp for digestion --
Karrie

Vilderup

Original Poster
I am from Denmark and we don't really have any cheap temp guns, but it gets hot enough. When I say can't walk, it is because she is tired as I've said several times. She does not have any strength left. All of her arms and legs + tail are completely moveable, they are not stiff or anything. Back is straight and so forth.

I have a normal digital thermometer.

I have not checked her for parasites yet, but I will on monday if she is still with us.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the digital therm does it have a probe on the end? Those are pretty good - just need to leave it sit there for like 10 minute or so -------------parasites are not going to kill your dragon in 3 weeks --- they will treat her for them if they are bad enough --- so shes lethargic is what your saying -- so it might have everything to do w/ the lighting --- I am gonna let someone else say what they think -
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Vilderup":16v1j9ca said:
I am from Denmark and we don't really have any cheap temp guns, but it gets hot enough. When I say can't walk, it is because she is tired as I've said several times. She does not have any strength left. All of her arms and legs + tail are completely moveable, they are not stiff or anything. Back is straight and so forth.

I have a normal digital thermometer.

I have not checked her for parasites yet, but I will on monday if she is still with us.

Try Ebay …. for gun thermometers and digital thermometers .

here's one of many there
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NonContact-Temperature-Gun-Digital-Temp-Meter-Infrared-IR-Laser-Thermometer-550/182985012860?hash=item2a9ac1b67c:g

here's one of many digital thermometers on ebay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature-AU/231537491963?epid=2035456128&hash=item35e8b5bffb&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQADAAADEFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduViZfumETLQGIgKVmXIyrACd8OomTEV%2FoavVde4XgH1ZWXEdv3wpXWQL6GC%2BaJx0FiX5DohU3ph7JSbHxyGV21Za5nqWGXmzeGnbXAzcwpBfiLCMJmr%2BXduZkwiS8X2HYNMovLxSgEdcv%2Bi%2BFd2ffRrA5RYbqhll930gE2k9Tz6M46u6R2tpjASqs9cHOXNuniH94aTywKvY7xQ%2FEcYKAiGos30C1oQBVRpXmuXJAcaLzLjLNg3j%2BYsv%2Bn1jbOzYWB7JKtxVcWASJ0FBxdde76hNGG7Hl34F1TQHt3YqoIg44wxhXVFwJDkTYbhM1yT8XLdJcF644vfJH0PMcYmenCsDbkwRvBNnCmQ57%2B1YAO6Lg84ZteifSRbuCY9OBp6CZTRHsDd8tZAwAlf5eSXBYDqPqvYJBllnOoFzQ6JeY4OxYU0EvBfhGq5fbrmyT4OBmAujDcBHc8zcBlOgiBOh1n%2FF4jcA4bO6LZ1OQL95EvFEvzyQNiZdoYa1weqIfeI7FcwvMWGnMYOHfWNsG0xd1HiANKXT2PllvNwyzdSQza4439GtWD2ihGwaBT58T3R043%2BBVJxIpLnVlwMsUPFNZfiaWajfrFwzZnGtrXTxnuG1zxpPwNbvmzrhQjbxfkk2oHRZQzEqpHzhVKckc96k1wJyw3vfXs5uS%2FXZCA00Rqd88jCTpd37fu7oHpfllli2z2PphxPd1Z09h0ncprztq0jrfs%2FuqH%2Bx3ZsfcbUL2L8ZixqF6AlPDI1bmGJ7RNORLBYaInAsvru%2FlxKaLREDAIA1A5SWAbzBC01OcPpYSL9wCner0VqTK3hOoKq8TnGNA%2BBUKWUkFCaRE34xl7NqmjyG9W%2FUFfPYdDei4AgMcdQulf1s199KOQXjrtM6PrjQMMT2fOjnKPzvs2qHw9LZLUpoPMwhoGbR9WoPkSp4k64S6kd8E%2BLLlantsWupZnFwXaoqEBZpW2LWADtQ%2B7EnJVv2fFxZ0BIYYMcBWSDEkRY0g%3D&checksum=23153749196388773d6dc6874a10a4bd2112124e4d71
these are very good.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having a rough time. Her beard did not look black, has it been darker
than normal or regular color?
Have you tried feeding some chicken or turkey baby food, along with some squash or sweet
potato baby foods yet? What foods are you usually feeding her?
What type of supplementation are you giving her?
The Solar Glo 160 watt is a decent light, nice & bright. It isn't a real strong bulb though for
emitting UVB. The tank setup looks great too. How far is the Solar Glo from her estimated?
I would recommend considering adding a tube UVB also, just to cover your bases. In case
she isn't getting quite enough UVB.
For possible worms/parasites, try to get some mint, parsley, basil & cliantro mixed together in
a greens slurry for her. Those are helpful in fighting parasites.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Vilderup

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

the past couple of days she has been a little darker in color. I have not given her any kind of baby food or any regular food she is comfortable with since she rejects any form of food. I usually feed her a mix of dubia, superworms and grasshoppers. For greens it is usually kale, rucola and sometimes/rarely a type of lettuce (not iceberg, it is a different type of lettuce with actual nutrients in it). In the summer they also get some dandelion greens. (Could they have made her sick with parasites?) They also get some fruit, such as kiwis, berries (blueberries and strawberries) banana, carrot. Both greens and feeder insects are covered in a vitamin and calcium supplement.

It looks like she is doing a little better. Atleast not worse. I am trying to keep her as hydrated as possible since she is very thirsty at times, which she has never been until the last 2-3 weeks.

I have also cleaned the entire tank to make it as clean as possible.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So she is doing a little better today?
Those foods sound perfectly fine, a good variety for her. The only way really, that the
dandelion greens would have made her ill would be if they had been sprayed with pesticides
or something of that nature.
Keep her as hydrated as you can to help flush out anything right now. What brand of vitamin
& calcium supplementation are you using?

Let us know how things are coming along with her.
Tracie

Vilderup

Original Poster
Hi Tracie

yes she is doing a little better.. we think. The brand of supplement I am using is called Diafarm. Pretty popular in Denmark. Those dandelions were not sprayed with anything.

101468-1910882369.jpg

Vilderup

Original Poster
*UPDATE*

We have had Chili tested at a vet, and yes, she does have parsasites. An X-ray was also taken and her bones are healthy. She is in treatment and is doing better, but is still not healthy. I will go tomorrow to pick her up at the vet and hopefully have a more healthy beardie with me on the way home :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh, bless her. What type of parasites was she diagnosed with, coccidia, worm, flagellates, etc?
That is good news her bones appear healthy then. I hope she is feeling better soon.
What exactly, is Diafarm, a calcium + vitamin supplement?
That's great the dandelions were not sprayed with pesticides, good to hear. Keep us posted
on how she is doing.

Tracie

Vilderup

Original Poster
I just got her home today and she is much better, however she is still not at her best, but we can't expect her to be healthy in 4 days :)

It was a type of worm parasite, she is on deworming (directly translated from my language, don't know if that is the right term).

Diafarm is a vitamin and calcium supplement, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom