Tiny Baby Beardie Afraid of Insects

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr1ms0ndrachen

My daughter's baby beardie is afraid of any feeder insects we try to feed him/her. It is my guess is that he/she is too small. For the last week I have been soaking pellet food and spoon feeding him/her (let's just go with him, this is getting old), but he only takes in a tiny bit at a time. Is there something better I can be doing for him? He ate a tiny piece of kale once, but won't go near the insects. Any time I have tried, he startles and runs away. I don't want to keep startling him, so I figured I would ask here. I did a search in the forum but couldn't find anything, so I apologize if this topic has already been covered. Also, my daughter does take care of her beardie, but she is at her dad's this week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I hate to say this but you will haft to take care of the beardie w/ her help - bearded dragons are no way a childs pet - they are just to complex and hide their illnesses very well because its a natural instinct to do so --- are the crickets tiny - you may haft to disable them so he can eat them - is he afraid of them jumping ? I can suggest you get some dubia roaches they are better for them anyway - crickets tend to cause parasites / pin worms so I would recommend you get dubias- if you cant find them in your store you can order them on line -- www.dubiaroaches.com -https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/ https://abdragons.com/login.php
are you feeding salad not just kale -- here is a website for that http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
where did you get your little guy from? this forum is wonderful for information and help from others on this board and have some very knowledgeable people on here so please do not be afraid to ask questions--
He should be eating as many crickets as he can in 10-15 minutes dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- can you post pics of his tank and lighting so we can see if you need help w/ the husbandry ---
Karrie

cr1ms0ndrachen

Original Poster
I will have to do pics later, but he is in a small tank temporarily so I can keep him next to my bed for a couple weeks. He will be moving up to a bigger tank soon. I know they need to be in at least a 40 gal breeder. And my daughter is in middle school, but don't worry, I keep a close eye on her and her dragon! He has the right lighting but I don't know all the proper words for it - my best friend who has had a beardie and other reptiles for quite some time helped me figure out all of that.

I have ordered from Rainbow Mealworms before, but not the roaches. I may have to try that.

I offer other veggies too, it's just that he only ever ate that one tiny piece of kale. I also use the calcium and vitamins, but since he won't touch the bugs, he hasn't gotten any from the powder - just what is in the wet pellet food.

He loves to cuddle, so I don't know why he is so afraid of the bugs. I will try the roaches I guess.

I will try to post pics soon! Thanks for your help. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try disabling the crickets like pull one of the legs off so it cant jump and dust them before you do that - see if that helps --- I hate that hes not eating I know they go thru relocation stress so that too can be effecting him not eating --- as far as tank size its good hes going to bigger but you will find eventually he will haft to go into even bigger - so if you want to get a even bigger one I would recommend it - you can try craigslist marketplace for used but if you do get one a used one from anywhere please make sure you disinfect really good --- and find out what was in the tank before you get it - I would try and find one that has doors that open from the front ---- easier to work w/ --- what are you using for substrate now? No sand I hope
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What all insects have you tried?
Any worms? I can't imagine he'd be scared of worms too!

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
claudiusx":1fystsb7 said:
What all insects have you tried?
Any worms? I can't imagine he'd be scared of worms too!

-Brandon
That was my thought too - have you tried BSFL/Phoenix worms? They're slowish, so that may help, and they're not very big. You could also try very small silkworms. If it's not the quick movement that the beardie's afraid of, definitely try some baby roaches, but I think I'd start with the less mobile worms first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom