"Food should be no larger than the space between their eyes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin797

This statement is everywhere. Can someone please explain it to me? Does this refer to width? Width and length? For example: if I feed my beardie a cricket that is longer than the space between its eyes, but less wide than the space between the eyes, is this ok? Does this only apply to feeders or veggies as well? What if the food is too large?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Its not so much a rule as more of a guideline. And in regards to crickets it's in relation to the width of the cricket.

Dragons can eat larger than that, but it's a good simple thought process to base the size of feeders you buy. Soft bodied feeders dont have to really follow that "rule".
It's really just a simplified method to prevent inexperienced owners from offering prey that is too large and could potentially lead to problems.

I'd consider it the same for hard vegies. Soft items and leafy greens need not apply.

-Brandon

Muffin797

Original Poster
claudiusx":i42cvbzf said:
in regards to crickets it's in relation to the width of the cricket.

-Brandon

When judging the width of a cricket, do I consider the legs as well? Just out of curiosity, when can a beardie handle a fully grown cricket?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't consider the legs of the crickets, more so the body.

To be honest I'm not sure. I don't buy adult crickets because I don't like to hear the chirping. I don't buy crickets very often at all actually. But, my 4 or 5 month old could handle the size under adult pretty easily, he would probably do fine with adults but he's a big boy lol.

Even if they are a little large, you're unlikely to experience issues as long as your husbandry is proper. I personally like to feed smaller insects but larger quantities as opposed to larger insects in smaller quantities. At least when it comes to crickets, dubias, supers and mealworms. With hornworms and silkworms, I let them get as big as possible because they are expensive lol.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, they are very unlikely to choke on their food. Sometimes much older dragons can, but usually thats with other health issues involved.
The thought was more so for discouraging impaction, which is why I mentioned that as long as your husbandry is up to par, you should be fine.

The other kicker is, if the prey items are too large, and they start causing an issue, it's not like a death sentence. You notice it, get the slight impaction to pass, and just feed smaller insects. It's one of those things where you just get to know your dragon, and what he or she is capable of. Which is another reason why it's a "general" type of advice, instead of a strict rule.

For instance, Tombo crunches the living daylights out of anything he eats, I feel comfortable giving him pretty much any sized item. Moro, on the other hand, is a dainty princess who doesn't chew her food lol.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To add, I personally like to use slightly smaller food than you could, just because I feel smaller items are easier to digest and absorb.

Sure, I can swallow a square inch piece of steak no problem, but it'll go through my system a lot easier if I do smaller bites that I chew up, if you catch my drift. :wink:

-Brandon

Muffin797

Original Poster
Thanks Brandon that's good advice. The pet shops near me don't carry smaller crickets, most are mid size or full grown and I wanted to know if they should be fine or if I should be ordering them online. My beardie seems to chew things to death so I think it should be alright.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup I'm sure they will be fine :)
However, they are usually much much cheaper (and healthier) ordering online anyways.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom