Overwhelmed with UVB bulbs - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccryder84

Need help figuring out this UVB bulb stuff...we are brand-new bearded dragon owners. Our beardie has been with us since Sunday. The first day he ate pretty well, but now he's hardly eating at all. I got worried about his lighting situation after reading up on some things. We bought the Zoo Med kit (40 gallon tank) and it came with one of those compact ReptiSun UVB bulbs (26 watts I believe?). The basking light seems to be fine, but I'm worried about the UVB light. We went out and bought the fluorescent ReptiSun light...but now I'm seeing there are several variations of that as well! The one we bought is only 17 watt...less than the compact...so now I'm worried that can't be right. At this point I'm feeling completely overwhelmed as to what we need. This is my daughter's very first pet and I really don't want to set the poor thing up for failure by not supplying the right amount of lighting. I'm hoping someone could kindly explain the UVB situation and wattage and help me figure out what I should put in our terrarium. Thank you!!!!

signed,
overwhelmed first-time dragon owner

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I know it can be confusing at first but honestly once you have everything right the rest is a breeze :)

So you bought a reptisun tube that is great! There is a couple different varieties so could you tell us which one? Or post a picture of what you bought?

Could you post up a picture of your tank too so we can see it?

If you got a long tube, you're gonna be fine as long as it's a reptisun 10.0 and not a 5.0 :)
And then once we figure out exactly what one you got, and see your tank, we can go over the best placement for it.

Dont worry, no ill will come to your dragon while you figure out the uvb situation :)

-Brandon

ccryder84

Original Poster
Q8l1Bbg.jpg
- here is the enclosure

EPOCjnY.jpg
- here is the ReptiSun

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 8 usually goes 6-8 inches from basking area but the tank looks small - what size is the tank?
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Height of the tank is the key here.
How tall is it ?

How high is the basking spot ?

A T8 10% UVB linear tube like shown will be fine if
1) you mount It in a T8 reflector hood that is
2) hung UNDER the mesh lid and
3) it's NOT more than 6" - 8" from the basking spot.
and
4) it's not more than 3/4 the length of the tank
and
5) it's hung so one end is very close to the basking globe
and
6) it's directly overtop the basking spot.

If the tank is taller than 16" , you will do best to return the T8 10% UVB tube and exchange it for an Zoo Med T5HO 10% UVB linear or a Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tube .
Again 2, 4, 5 and 6 apply and you'll need to ensure the basking spot is about 11 - 12 inches from the tube and it's reflector hood.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can clearly see from your picture that you have a tall basking area. The t8 will be fine for your setup :)
No need to return it and get a different one.

-Brandon

ccryder84

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Regarding the T8 mounting: I was planning on mounting it myself using just a cheaper fluorescent ballast (there was a “lighting for newbies” post I found on here that described this). Do I need the reflector hood or will doing the above method work?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ccryder84":33n8vbm6 said:

Regarding the T8 mounting: I was planning on mounting it myself using just a cheaper fluorescent ballast (there was a “lighting for newbies” post I found on here that described this). Do I need the reflector hood or will doing the above method work?

That can be done , but bare in mind if there is no reflector (ie built into the hood , or slipped onto the tube in your case) the distance to get good levels of UVA & UVB will be even shorter , 8 inches from tube to basking spot becomes more like 4 inches.

This is because the shaped reflectors focus the light & UV and redirect UV that would otherwise be wasted down towards the basking spot , essentially doubling the UV flux as seen by your pet.

These are the slip on reflectors I mention : https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/ , I think if you are in USA, LLLReptile have these.

Some thing by way of explanation why reflectors are needed :
effect-of-reflector-on-a-uv-tube-flux-map.png

ref http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ccryder84":hpcjs8jj said:

The reflector hood does increase the exposure your dragon receives, but you definitely don't need to get your fixture 4 inches away from your dragon without one. It puts out enough uv at the 6-8 inches like mentioned previously. Just because it's less, doesn't mean it's not enough. I would definitely recommend against ever mounting any type of bulb 4 inches from your dragon.

To your question, you can definitely do it like you've seen in the lighting post. We've been using that method for years with great results.
Or, you can get a fixture with a reflector,It's your choice, there is no 1 single way to do things despite what some may think.
Point is, either way will be providing suitable uv for your dragon. :D

Personally, i'd probably go with a reflector since you have a 40g tank. I assume it's a 40g breeder, so 36x18x18 right? Just make sure that you're also providing an area in the tank where the uv is low to none. You want your dragon to have an escape from the rays. :)

-Brandon

ccryder84

Original Poster
claudiusx":3v1glva1 said:
ccryder84":3v1glva1 said:

The reflector hood does increase the exposure your dragon receives, but you definitely don't need to get your fixture 4 inches away from your dragon without one. It puts out enough uv at the 6-8 inches like mentioned previously. Just because it's less, doesn't mean it's not enough. I would definitely recommend against ever mounting any type of bulb 4 inches from your dragon.

To your question, you can definitely do it like you've seen in the lighting post. We've been using that method for years with great results.
Or, you can get a fixture with a reflector,It's your choice, there is no 1 single way to do things despite what some may think.
Point is, either way will be providing suitable uv for your dragon. :D

Personally, i'd probably go with a reflector since you have a 40g tank. I assume it's a 40g breeder, so 36x18x18 right? Just make sure that you're also providing an area in the tank where the uv is low to none. You want your dragon to have an escape from the rays. :)

-Brandon

Thank you!

Is it still a good idea to do the 10.0 T8 tube over the 10.0 compact bulb though? I’m assuming the tube (even without reflector) would be more desirable?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh by far! The CFL's output drops off significantly just an inch or two from the bulb. They have some other issues too but that's why we recommend the long tubes here :mrgreen:

-Brandon

ccryder84

Original Poster
claudiusx":3jtchnvn said:
Oh by far! The CFL's output drops off significantly just an inch or two from the bulb. They have some other issues too but that's why we recommend the long tubes here :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Thanks a million! So appreciate the info!

ccryder84

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their comments - it really has helped! I was getting a little anxious over everything. Appreciate you all taking to time to share info!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ccryder84":1d2ahnm3 said:
Thanks to everyone for their comments - it really has helped! I was getting a little anxious over everything. Appreciate you all taking to time to share info!
Not a problem it's what we are here for :D

Now don't be a stranger either, you should post up a thread for your little guy so we can all follow along and see pictures of him as he grows! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom