Parasite results (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
102838-7394330003.jpg
Hi,
My bearded dragon Pan has recently turned one years old this month. However, shes been pretty lethargic recently, preferring to lay in her shade in comparison to her basking spot and although she is still eating somewhat normally, occasionally eating less, she usually prefers to sleep most of the day. Due to this i paid for her to have a parasite test. I was wondering if someone could help me interpret the results as it was done at a private lab and not a vets.

Hi Pantalaimon. I can't interpret all of that, but my dragon just tested positive for Coccidia as well. We have him on Ponazuril right now. Vet advised us to do 0.1mL by feeding syringe first, and then the same thing 48 hours later. Then, in two weeks, repeat the same steps, and he should be clear of the virus. Not sure if this is the right med for everything listed in that result though.

You could probably take that result to a vet with herp experience and let them prescribe something. I know some others may have alternative suggestions for you as well. Some people swear by ReptAid, which we've been using as well, but I'm not sure exactly what is making the most impact.

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Hi, thank you for your feedback. yeah the results are pretty confusing. i really want to take her to the vets but the problem is that i don't get paid till the end of next month. Do you think she will be okay until then? shes eating and her poo is actually still solid. Any suggestions of anything i could do for her until then, i have read some reviews on reptaid and they are very mixed so i'm not sure whether i want to risk it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would be better if you were able to see a count. Most dragons will have parasites in their system, but a normal healthy immune system keeps them in check. It's only when they get out of hand that treating them is necessary.

Hopefully someone more in tune with parasite samples will chime in, but thats my 2 cents.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pantalaimon":dhxw74f0 said:
Hi,
My bearded dragon Pan has recently turned one years old this month. However, shes been pretty lethargic recently, preferring to lay in her shade in comparison to her basking spot and although she is still eating somewhat normally, occasionally eating less, she usually prefers to sleep most of the day. Due to this i paid for her to have a parasite test. I was wondering if someone could help me interpret the results as it was done at a private lab and not a vets.

Parasite test aside, we could go over your husbandry too if you'd like. That way we could rule out the behavior possibly being caused by something in her environment.

-Brandon

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
claudiusx":3pa7t0wk said:
Pantalaimon":3pa7t0wk said:
Hi,

Parasite test aside, we could go over your husbandry too if you'd like. That way we could rule out the behavior possibly being caused by something in her environment.

-Brandon

yeah i'll post a picture of her cage in the morning shes asleep right now but i can give you some descriptions,
UVB- Arcadia D3 + 12% this was replaced this month because i was worried that it could be that. This is also hanging 8 inches from her basking spot with a reflector on it
Basking Bulb: Arcadia 100w bulb - basking spot around 38-40c, warm side about 35c, cool side 29c
Humidity: usually around 35% so sometimes i spray around her cage a little to get it up to 40%. I also always offer her a drink of black cherry extract mixed with water or just water,
Substrate: reptile carpet with some tiles - looking for a replacement for this substrate if you have any suggestions :)
Basking spot - is a raised slate rock
Feeding: Mostly gets 2x hoppers a day, when i have the extra money she does get silk worms, because shes 1 now i have lowered it to once a day. I do offer her a salad a day of Rocket/Spring greens, peppers, and then i offer grapes or berries sometimes but shes really not in to eating her salad which is another problem - she runs and hides when i offer her anything other than greens such as squash :roll:
Supplements: 5x dusted calcium a week - on one feed, 2x Herptivite a week - on one feeding
Viv size: 4 ft x 2ft
Pan's Measurements: 19.5 inch and i believe she was around 380g-400g when i last weighed her

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's the was very detailed! :)

Everything sounds great to me. If I had to have any concern it would be about the Arcadia. it's a great bulb, but its strong too! What would you say is the distance from the bulb to the tank floor. You want to make sure you provide areas of low to no uv exposure so she can escape the rays if she wants.

But, I'm sure it's fine, it's just the only thing that stands out to me as a slight possibility :)

-Brandon

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
claudiusx":1qxyin0d said:
That's the was very detailed! :)

Everything sounds great to me. If I had to have any concern it would be about the Arcadia. it's a great bulb, but its strong too! What would you say is the distance from the bulb to the tank floor. You want to make sure you provide areas of low to no uv exposure so she can escape the rays if she wants.

But, I'm sure it's fine, it's just the only thing that stands out to me as a slight possibility :)

-Brandon
Hi,
I lowered it because it was a T8 not a T5 so i thought that they were suppose to be closer to the beardie but i can higher it , i would say its about 12 inch from her floor if I'm guessing. She spends about 70% of her day under her hammock sleeping/ just laying there. It's been quite difficult caring for her because shes a rescue and i think she is a little unlucky in the genetics department :? . One eye is bigger than the other and one of her front legs is pretty chunky. I have took her to the exotic vets for her leg and he said that it seems fine, she moves like a bullet when she wants too, but when my student loan comes back in i might take her back for a second opinion.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about moving it then, I'm sure it's fine :)

Did the vet think the leg issue could be gout? Or was it not paid much mind. Either way, it's good it doesnt seem to bother her.

Tracie should be on later, she'd probably be the best person to give you advice on your parasite question :)

-Brandon

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
claudiusx":tnr1giuf said:
I wouldn't worry about moving it then, I'm sure it's fine :)

Did the vet think the leg issue could be gout? Or was it not paid much mind. Either way, it's good it doesnt seem to bother her.

Tracie should be on later, she'd probably be the best person to give you advice on your parasite question :)

-Brandon

Okay thank you for all your advice! I did bring up gout at the vets but he disregarded it, i did start on giving her the black cherry extract to see if that made any difference and cut her off her dubia roachers, much to her disgust, because i thought they might be a bit high in protein for her.Any advice on convincing her to eat her salad?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it looks like the diagnosis is namatodes, probably pinworms for which Panacur [ fenbendazole ] is usually prescribed. I zoomed in to read this, looks like she's negative for coccidia + crypto ,so that's good. Panacur is not a harsh med. and is tolerated quite well by most beardies. I think that's all I see there on the test, Tracie can check to see what she thinks.

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
AHBD":nuw3ji30 said:
Hi there, it looks like the diagnosis is namatodes, probably pinworms for which Panacur [ fenbendazole ] is usually prescribed. I zoomed in to read this, looks like she's negative for coccidia + crypto ,so that's good. Panacur is not a harsh med. and is tolerated quite well by most beardies. I think that's all I see there on the test, Tracie can check to see what she thinks.

Thats good news then. Thanks for your help! i'll look in to Panacur and wait for Tracie's opinion also.

AHBD":2jqx8cng said:

It says that Coccidia is seen in the results. Does that not mean the test came up positive for Coccidia?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There were very few coccidia seen so he opted not to treat them right now. A moderate
count of most likely pinworms were found which is probably around a 2-3 count via the
fecal test which he wanted to treat.
Panacur is usually the medication of choice to treat for pinworms. I would just treat them
& wait on the coccidia since there is very little present. Many times, they do carry small
counts of that in their normal flora anyway. As long as levels don't get too high it usually
doesn't bother them any.
The Arcadia D3 12% tube is a good bulb & can be at a 6-10 inch distance from her. She
has some swelling in one of her legs, do you have a picture of that we could see?
Black cherry extract certainly wont hurt her any. How long has she had some swelling on her
leg?
Her behavior is sound somewhat like a brumation or slow down phase. Since she just turned
1 years old, she is technically old enough to brumate if healthy. If you are going to medicate
though, she will need to bask some during the day to help the meds assimilate & so you can
keep her hydrated too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom