beardie not pooping or eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a long post sorry, I'm new at all this ): So I've had my 1 year old female beardie for 2 weeks now and she hasn't pooped but maybe 4 times since I got her, and the past time she went it was mostly runny and brown and smelled really bad. Shes also only wanting to eat insects for the past 4 or 5 days, not touching veggies at all even if I attempt hand feeding. (I've been feeding her kale and carrots with the calcium powder on top) Shes been lethargic, and not wanting to bask very much. I was using what the store sold her with (she has been using this set up since she was with her last owner, who got her as a baby) which was a 20 gallon and a mercury vapor bulb and UVB bulb which only kept the temp at 86 degrees at most. I realized about 5 days ago that thats not good at all so I upgraded her to a 40 gallon tank with a ceramic heater with her mercury vapor bulb, 12 hours on and 12 hours off like usual. This keeps the temp around 95 to 100 all the time now, Is she possibly just adjusting to her temps being better now or is something else possibly wrong?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well the warmer basking temp is going to help w/ the digestion -- keep offering the vegies and see if she starts to eat them now that the temps are up there --- mine is very stubborn as well and hes about 17 months old and does not like his vegies either -- if I hand feed he will eat them but if I just leave the dish in there he wont touch them - he is still eating dubias -- the mercury vapor bulb what watt is it?
Karrie

Delilaheve

Original Poster
Its 75 watts. I was thinking of increasing it to 100 watts until i saw it was keeping her basking spot around 95 degrees i didn't want to burn her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
maybe a little warmer is gonna help w/ digestion - but not sure about the UVB --- someone else will haft to chime in on this
Karrie

Delilaheve

Original Poster
So I'm pretty sure its a respiratory infection because I noticed today she was rubbing her face on the glass a lot and I looked closer and saw she had a blocked nostril. I googled how to unblock it and tried to use a wet q tip to loosen it up and it helped a little but I've already made an appointment at my local small animal/exotic hospital to do an exam/fecal exam tomorrow morning to be sure thats all it is.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the blocked nostril just a piece of shed? If so, the nostril plug should work free on it's own after a while.

Delilaheve":15b9znb7 said:
So I'm pretty sure its a respiratory infection because I noticed today she was rubbing her face on the glass a lot and I looked closer and saw she had a blocked nostril. I googled how to unblock it and tried to use a wet q tip to loosen it up and it helped a little but I've already made an appointment at my local small animal/exotic hospital to do an exam/fecal exam tomorrow morning to be sure thats all it is.

That's very common during the shedding process. Chances are, if your dragon is rubbing its face on anything, it's shedding or preparing for it. The inside of the nostril sheds as well, and looks like a boogie coming out. It's important not to tear the loose skin off for them, as it can damage new skin. Only the very very loose stuff that essentially flakes off I'll assist with.

How is she acting today? The new tank setup should definitely cheer her up if she doesn't have anything else wrong with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom