Huge Mass

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:19 am

Yes he is still active, eating very well and seems happy. I guess I will have a more informed decision when he goes back next Thursday to see if he put on enough weight and the vet feels he is a surgical candidate.

CooperDragon wrote:The unknown is the rough part. He is still active and alert and seems happy?
User avatar
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am
Location: Near Detroit Mich
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:33 am

So I took Aussie to the vet today, he gained weight, the mass has grown also. It is now or never time since the mass is only getting bigger and she has to out out the skin involved and there is not going to be enough skin to close back together if it gets any bigger. As it is she is going to have to be careful so as not to take too much skin but still be able to remove the entire mass. I opted to have the surgery performed, it is very high risk because of the size, It has doubled since the pics were taken about 6 weeks ago. The Vet will not know if it's attached deeper into the chest cavity or on the outside of the rib cage until she goes in. Please send out prayers for a successful surgery, skills for the surgeons hands, minimally invasive procedure and speedy recovery. Thank you.
User avatar
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am
Location: Near Detroit Mich

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Drache613 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 am

Hello,

Oh dear, we will all be sending our thoughts out to you both!
When was/is the surgery being done? How is he doing?
I hope that they are able to successfully remove the mass without too much trouble. Any
surgery is always risky, with reptiles.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38713
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:34 am

Tahnk you for the thoughts Traci.. The surgery was on Thursday. The vet said it was pretty messy inside, she was able to get most of the mass but not all. She thought they had lost him during the surgery as they could not find a heart beat or respiration, however, as she continued to remove the mass, the tech said he was still with us. The vet called later and said that he was in the incu/heater recovering and had moved around a bit. I was to pick him up the next day on Friday. I received a call Friday at 1030am telling me that Aussie had not made it through the night. I don't get it. If he made it thru the rough part, why? She said it was very risky. I am so sad I could not even update this post yesterday. I will go get him today lay him to rest next to his mate of 10 years. #SUCKS#SAD#RIIPAUSSIE

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Oh dear, we will all be sending our thoughts out to you both!
When was/is the surgery being done? How is he doing?
I hope that they are able to successfully remove the mass without too much trouble. Any
surgery is always risky, with reptiles.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie
User avatar
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am
Location: Near Detroit Mich

Re: Huge Mass

Postby tetriminoss » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Just because he passed the hard part doesn't mean there won't be anything that's coming.

ANY kind of surgery will have a post-surgery effects on your body.

It may be all sorts of stuff.

Could be that the pain dampeners wore off and couldn't endure it.
Could be that the surgery was too huge that the body collapsed after it.
Could be that the after all the surgery your beardy went to an eternal relief.

We don't know, and just because something was done, doesn't mean anything won't happen after.
End is a beginning of something.

Condolences.
Name: Tet
Age: 13 weeks
Length: 8 "
tetriminoss
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 pm
Location: Canada
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Huge Mass

Postby ElisaAndSteven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about this. The only thing I hope for is that it wasn't too traumatic for Aussie. It's so hard losing an animal because we almost always have to make the decision that sends them away. At a certain point though, the decision isn't really ours, it just has to come from us. You did the right thing by trying. Take it easy on yourself, and remember all of the good stuff.
ElisaAndSteven
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: Huge Mass

Postby AHBD » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:05 pm

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your precious Aussie. :( I know the pain of losing a beloved pet, and I'm sure he was that to you.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23075
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Awwee...THANK You everyone for the kind words. Yes it truly sucks but as stated, it really isn't our decision, and I am glad I made the decision to try to help Aussie as the mass was growing quickly and it would have become uncomfortable at some point and then I would be "forced" into a decision. He is resting now with his mate "Opie" where I laid her to rest a couple years ago. Thanks again all.
User avatar
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am
Location: Near Detroit Mich

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Thank you, yes you are so right, the end is a beginning. The Vet said the same, could have been a few things.

I will go with the "Eternal Relief", he is now with his long time mate, Opie, of 10 years. Thank you again.


tetriminoss wrote:Just because he passed the hard part doesn't mean there won't be anything that's coming.

ANY kind of surgery will have a post-surgery effects on your body.

It may be all sorts of stuff.

Could be that the pain dampeners wore off and couldn't endure it.
Could be that the surgery was too huge that the body collapsed after it.
Could be that the after all the surgery your beardy went to an eternal relief.

We don't know, and just because something was done, doesn't mean anything won't happen after.
End is a beginning of something.

Condolences.
Last edited by Thebearded1 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am
Location: Near Detroit Mich

Re: Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Thank you so much.

I was doing the 2nd guessing for a day or two but realize that I tried to give him more happy years but it just wasn't in the heavens plans. So I appreciate that words to "take it easy" on myself.

ElisaAndSteven wrote:Aww I'm so sorry to hear about this. The only thing I hope for is that it wasn't too traumatic for Aussie. It's so hard losing an animal because we almost always have to make the decision that sends them away. At a certain point though, the decision isn't really ours, it just has to come from us. You did the right thing by trying. Take it easy on yourself, and remember all of the good stuff.
User avatar
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am
Location: Near Detroit Mich
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], SchmittysMom