Don't know what's wrong with beardie help asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracul6

I'm going to start off by saying I started a new job. lately and I haven't had much time with my beardie but tending to as much as possible. Also i have just recently moved to a new home and ever since i have my beardie started eating less and less then i started realizing that his back legs were seizing up so i did some research which led me to impaction but since then ive bathed him every night and 2 times he actually wiggled out a poo. Now i noticed his back left leg was just really not working. Nothing could have fallen on him cause i have his tank set up where that wont happen. Ive given him some prune baby food via syringe to help loosen anything else in there and he took it like a champ. Next day he ran over and ate some blueberries. So i was like hmm he seems better. Gave hime some greens he ate some of that as well and its now a week later and he refuses to eat. And is very confused . I hate to say it but i think hes dying. But i dont want to call it quits on him.would it be a vitamin d deficiency or calcium since he hasnt eaten much? Im not sure what to think. Hes about 11 years old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of lighting do you have in your tank brand and bulb and is it a coil or tube? Where in tank is it on top of screen or inside tank ? Odd behavior!
Karrie

Dracul6

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37nnezvw said:
What kind of lighting do you have in your tank brand and bulb and is it a coil or tube? Where in tank is it on top of screen or inside tank ? Odd behavior!
Karrie
Hes got the zoo med tube 10.0 outside the tank but with a slot in the back the width of the tube so no obstruction of the rays. Hes also got a 150w basking bulb. He used to be such a monster thats why i named him Bubba. But hes really worrying me. Especially with both of his back legs not doing well. I was quoted quite a bit for xrays to see what may be wrong.. ive found him on his back a couple times the other week i lowered everything so he wouldnt flip himself over. He seems very off balance. But he still wants to run around.. i dont get it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some more experienced are gonna haft to weigh in on this--- how far away is UVB? And is it the T 8 or T 5?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is your reptisun?
What does your supplement regimen look like?

It's possible if he was impacted that he only passed some of it. Can you feel anything if you massage his tummy?

What does his daily diet look like, or what did it look like when he was doing well?
With the 150w basking bulb, what is your basking surface temp? And what type of thermometer are you using to measure it?

Finding him on his back isn't a good sign, I hope their is no neurological issues at play here. Sometimes what you are describing can be caused by MBD, so if you could answer all my questions it would help greatly!

-Brandon

Dracul6

Original Poster
claudiusx":1i0ztwlp said:
How old is your reptisun?
What does your supplement regimen look like?

It's possible if he was impacted that he only passed some of it. Can you feel anything if you massage his tummy?

What does his daily diet look like, or what did it look like when he was doing well?
With the 150w basking bulb, what is your basking surface temp? And what type of thermometer are you using to measure it?

Finding him on his back isn't a good sign, I hope their is no neurological issues at play here. Sometimes what you are describing can be caused by MBD, so if you could answer all my questions it would help greatly!

-Brandon
Reptisun is about 4-5 months old
I dust his crickets with rep cal and also make sure the crickets are fed as well. Ran out of rep cal for about 3-4 weeks but got back on it after that. I was also recommended repashy i believe its called for some nutrients while he isnt feeling well but he doesnt even want that.
He was gobling down roughly 20 crickets each feeding before he got sick then he stopped wanting to chase them if they jumped then nothing interested him. Thought it was brumation but i don't know now.He was also not picky with his greens either or fruits. When i feel the space where his lower belly is, it does feel like something there but i dont know if that is his belly or something else. That's where the impaction worry came from. But then he pooed while he was in the bath. And once about two days later but much smaller. It took quite a bit of work to get it out.
Basking temp is roughly 90f. But i dont have a thermometer i checked it with a laser thermo and got readings that way.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Laser thermometers are good, they are usually quite accurate. The dial stick on thermometers aren't. Digital with probe ends are good too.

90 degrees at the basking spot really isn't hot enough to facilitate proper digestion or metabolic function. At 11 years old, he probably wants a cooler basking surface, but 90 is too cold. I would aim for 95-100. Sometimes 100 is too hot for older adults, but you'll have to just see. I find it odd that your 150w only gets you 90 degrees. Is it very far above the basking surface?

Could you post a picture of your setup + your guy possibly?

How often is he eating live feeders. And how often are you dusting? For some reason when I was making the suggestion of MBD, I had skipped over the fact that he is 11 years old! :shock: He's got quite a bit of age on him, but they can have quite a bit of years left in them at that age too! :D
It's doubtful that after 11 years he would have developed MBD, especially if you've cared for him this way for his life.

-Brandon

Dracul6

Original Poster
claudiusx":yevbrzra said:
Laser thermometers are good, they are usually quite accurate. The dial stick on thermometers aren't. Digital with probe ends are good too.

90 degrees at the basking spot really isn't hot enough to facilitate proper digestion or metabolic function. At 11 years old, he probably wants a cooler basking surface, but 90 is too cold. I would aim for 95-100. Sometimes 100 is too hot for older adults, but you'll have to just see. I find it odd that your 150w only gets you 90 degrees. Is it very far above the basking surface?

Could you post a picture of your setup + your guy possibly?

How often is he eating live feeders. And how often are you dusting? For some reason when I was making the suggestion of MBD, I had skipped over the fact that he is 11 years old! :shock: He's got quite a bit of age on him, but they can have quite a bit of years left in them at that age too! :D
It's doubtful that after 11 years he would have developed MBD, especially if you've cared for him this way for his life.

-Brandon
Every 2 to 3 times feeding for dusting. AndI'm still in the process of unpacking trying to find my thermometer ASAP to get a reading accurately again is basking life was about 11 to 12 inches away . I'll definitely send you some pictures in the morning I had to reseal around his tank today as well sadly so he is in his dig bin right now with just his rock and a piece of wood so it doesn't look too great lol but ill be sure to give you a oicture and video of his behaviour when i get in from work.is forcing him to eat a bad thing? I put a dusted cricket in front of his face and he just licked it and then closes eyes no interest after that so i just let him chill

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At his age, he could be having a little bit of trouble absorbing his calcium & or vitamins.
Maybe consider upgrading to a T5 tube bulb, either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or
the 14%.
Have his urates been a little harder than normal? He could be a bit dehydrated too. Try to give
some oral fluids daily for awhile & increase his calcium to at leas 3-4 times per week also, just
in the case his levels might be somewhat low.
Do you have pictures of him along with your tank setup that we could see also?

Tracie

Dracul6

Original Poster
Drache613":26t4da6w said:
Hello,

At his age, he could be having a little bit of trouble absorbing his calcium & or vitamins.
Maybe consider upgrading to a T5 tube bulb, either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or
the 14%.
Have his urates been a little harder than normal? He could be a bit dehydrated too. Try to give
some oral fluids daily for awhile & increase his calcium to at leas 3-4 times per week also, just
in the case his levels might be somewhat low.
Do you have pictures of him along with your tank setup that we could see also?

Tracie
Just about to look into a new uvb bulb today. Been working like crazy so im trying all i can right now to get everything done. I actually moved him into a little bit of a smaller encloser to keep some more heat in and rays closer to him. I lined it with newspaper cause im scared of sand at the moment. And just his rock and one piece of wood in there.
I still have to locate my heat gun and get another heat source. I can just feel it and know its too low. I put some olive oil in his nose last night and he licked it a few times. I wanted to help loosen any bowel movement. When i get home hes going to have another bath. Hopefully he can poo and start eating asap. Fingers are crossed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing tonight?
It doesn't sound like he is impacted but he could be low in calcium which can contribute to
them having some trouble moving things through.
A new UVB light would probably help out also. I know it's hard with a busy schedule. Is he
eating?
Let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie

Dracul6

Original Poster
Drache613":39fq9dle said:
Hello,

It doesn't sound like he is impacted but he could be low in calcium which can contribute to
A new UVB light would probably help out also. I know it's hard with a busy schedule. Is he
eating?

Tracie
He was doing okay for a day but back to being sluggish again sadly. Hes been licking things i try and give him but nothing after that i think im going to have to try the popsicle stick method to get some water into his system. Is there any recommendations on a way i could get some vitamin D and calcium into his system with a syringe? Ordered a new bulb yesterday so the waiting game on that. Also booked him a vet appointment. Tuesday was the earliest availability. So im hoping i can do something to help him get some of his usual energy back. This sucks not knowing whats going on and im tired of guessing. Just hoping the vet bill isnt insanely expensive.

Dracul6

Original Poster
Dracul6":35x9tvua said:
Drache613":35x9tvua said:
Hello,

eating?

Tracie
He was doing okay for a day but back to being sluggish again sadly. Hes been licking things i try and give him but nothing after that i think im going to have to try the popsicle stick method to get some water into his system. Is there any recommendations on a way i could get some vitamin D and calcium into his system with a syringe? Ordered a new bulb yesterday so the waiting game on that. Also booked him a vet appointment. Tuesday was the earliest availability. So im hoping i can do something to help him get some of his usual energy back. This sucks not knowing whats going on and im tired of guessing. Just hoping the vet bill isnt insanely expensive.
hes been basking for the past couple ours eith his mouth open. First time in a while ive seen this happen shouldni mix some calcium powder into a bit of water and give it to him with a syringe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom