Is this tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
105132-8539458676.jpg
I just got my bearded dragon yesterday and when I got him home I noticed some black on the end of his tail. He doesn’t seem to be eating right but it may just be that he’s adjusting to his new home. Idk any help would be very very appreciated thanks!

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya, welcome to the forums!

I don't see any tail rot and it is likely just stuck shed or coloration - a lot of beardies have dark tail tips for some reason, probably just to worry good owners. :p

If you're worried, keep an eye on it - if it gets larger, "creeps" or the tail, or smells bad, then you probably have tail rot.

Hope that helps!
-Ellen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The new picture helps a lot.

It definitely looks like it has been damaged, and it's very possible that tail rot is setting in.
If I were in your shoes, i'd make a vet appointment. If the vet determines it's necessary, they will probably just cut that part of the tail off, so that the rot doesn't spread if there is any. They can heal up quite well from that.
But to me, based off the picture, it definitely looks discolored, almost like it has a hint of green growing on it? Or is that just the picture.

I'll ask someone else to chime in and give their thoughts, but those are mine.

-Brandon

AlmightyLoaf

Original Poster
Ok thank you so much! I’m making a appointment tomorrow and I can’t see any green so it’s probably just the picture

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's always exciting to bring a new beardie home. :) It can also be stressful, esp. if there's a potential problem. There's def. damage to the end, at least an inch up . It may or may not become infected, sometimes infection occurs in the tissue under the scales before it develops classic " stick -like " appearance. Is he eating yet ? Some new beardies take a few days to settle in. It;s very important to be sure he has the correct lighting + set up now so can you post pics of it including the lights ? For now you should dab the tail with Neosporin and maybe set up a vet appt. in the next few weeks. Let him settle in to get used to his new home + start eating before you take him in unless it starts looking worse quickly. Like Brandon said, a quick snip can take care of it if it IS tail rot. Seek out only an experienced reptile vet and your baby should be fine.

AlmightyLoaf

Original Poster
105132-5810368741.jpg
for now I’m using the lighting that came with my zoomed set up. But I’m planning on upgrading soon because I’ve been hearing about how bad the lighting in the set up is. All the temps are good basking spot is usually 95-100F and the cool side is about 80F and humidity levels usually stay around 30%

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed, and make sure you aren't relying on that dial stick on thermometer for your temps! Do you have another thermometer you are using?

-Brandon

AlmightyLoaf

Original Poster
Ok do you guys have any suggestions on the UVB bulb? And nope I just have a thermometer on the warm and cold side any suggestions for another thermometer also?

AlmightyLoaf

Original Poster
Also on the issue of him not eating when I’m around can I do anything to help that? Or do I just need to give him space and let him adjust to his new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom