Beardie lost in shipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

THier220

Ok, after the loss of Taz, we decided to get another. I have never had a live animal shipped, (except for dubias) well seems FedEx has screwed up again.
He was boxed about 5 PM 7/8 for a by 10:30 am. He is till sitting in Memphis. IF he gets here alive, what special steps should I take?
Thanks,
Tom

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no! I've read about this happening a few times during shipping rescue dragons but it has turned out well each time so keep up hope. I would keep calling Fedex and explain that a live animal is in the shipment (they should have this on record, just to let the rep know). Keep checking on it manually and make sure they get the package back on track as soon as possible. He is most likely sleeping and may want some space when he arrives. Make sure he has access to water and try to minimize stress as much as possible. Hopefully they will get him to you soon.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear about another issue you're facing. Hopefully soon it will all be good news!

Have you talked to the breeder yet? Has the dragon actually been sitting in FedEx possession for a whole day?

I've ordered a couple reptiles shipped via FedEx and my tracking always updates and says that the label and information are created, but they aren't actually in possession of the package yet.

It should be overnight shipping so I'd imagine that if your dragon isnt on the plane by tonight, that there is something wrong.

They are pretty hardy, and a day or two extra in the shipping box shouldn't cause too much harm, especially if your breeder was responsible and didnt ship an underweight dragon or a dragon that is too young to ship.

Just make sure your setup is ready to go and get him right in it. He will probably just be cold and possibly a bit hungry.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And most breeders dont drop the dragon off until the night time. And usually they ship out that same night, but it's probably not out of the realm of possibility that the breeder missed the window or that the dragon will just ship out today or tonight.

-Brandon

THier220

Original Poster
full

This is the tracking info I have, seems he is still sitting in Memphis. Here is the problem, I took off work today so I'd be here, I have meetings tomorrow, so I cannot take off, then I have PT afterword, so I wnt be home till probably 5 IF they get him here tomorrow. Breeder boxed him up at last min b4 he was picked up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey there, was this a reputable breeder or just a random person breeding + selling ? Is there a reason on the Fedex site for the delay ? As long as the package doesn't get too hot the dragon will be fine. They can breathe in the box even without holes and would sleep most of the time. Thankfully it's the beginning of the week, you should get your beardie by tomorrow. Be sure to call + insist [ very politely ] to speak to someone who can track the package + see that it gets out for you. You should also video it when you opern the box to show the condition of the dragon. The breeder should reimburse your next day guaranteed shipping fee for sure, at least a good discount. I've shipped many a dragon, none ever got lost. Even overseas years ago.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I just saw your shipping details, it may be that it was not updated . Are you in a rural area ? BTW if he does not arrive today contact Fedex and tell them to put a " hold for customer " at your nearest hub. They will keep it until you can get there tomorrow on your lunchtime or after work. You will need a photo I.D.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd imagine that he'd get there sometime today if that is where you live. Like ahbd said, you can request a hold.

Your tracking info looks normal to me.

Everytime I would get one shipped, dropped off at night. Next morning it would be near my area and being processed, and then later that morning it would be done with sorting usually and out for delivery. if it was late it might have missed the sorting opportunity and just be waiting in the warehouse. That's where calling would help as youd potentially be able to go and pick up from the distribution point without having to wait for the next days sorting.

-Brandon

THier220

Original Poster
full

IF they find his box, it could be on a plane leaving 2:45, arriving BWI 5:45, I am about an hour from BWI. So MAYBE 8:00 tonight. If his box arrived 4+hours prior to flight, I dont understand why he wasn't on flight.

Bought from a breeder who uses "ship your reptile" or something like that, they us FedEx Had I known FedEx was the carrier, I'd driven the 3 hours to pick him up myself.

I am 240 miles from breeder, he is traveling 1500 plus miles.
I have NEVER had acceptable service from FedEx, I'd rather send a million dollars through UPS or USPS than send .10c through FedEx. If he doesnt make it here today, then I am looking at 48 hrs in a box, andassuming they get him hee at 10:30 tomorrow, he will bein a hot box until 5p or so.

Is this a huge health issue fr an 8 week old beardie?

Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The difference is if he's sitting in a warehouse he would not get too overheated. On a plane he would not either as far as I know. If the weather in your area is not over 80 then he should be fine.

I used UPS for a while when shipping , then started using the Reptilesexpress company which used Fedex. They are very reliable. Call shipyourreptiles, they can help you out more than the breeder.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it's warm where you are, I'd get into them and TELL THEM if the delivery is scheduled while you are not home . to leave an unable to deliver card telling you which depot to call to arrange a new delivery time .

Do you have to sign for the delivery or did you make the mistake of allowing it to be sent without signature on delivery mode ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You dont ask for signature when delivering reptiles. That causes big issues. No breeder I've ever bought from has done that. And shipyourreptiles dosen't do that either. It's way worse for the dragon to go back on the truck for the rest of the day until It gets back to the warehouse late at night than it is to be left on the porch. For an hour or two if you didnt decide to be home on the day of delivery, which Tom tried to do.

Tom made no mistake. No need to be so rude about it.

-Brandon

THier220

Original Poster
Ok,
I found the fight plan fo FedEx flight FX352, leaving Memphis at 2:45 CDT arriving BWI 5:48, FedEx said no such flight. At 3:00 there was an update, stating package had left Memphis. Reps at FedEx said nope. When I asked why the automated system when I called in said it was in route to BWI, They hung up on me. WRONG MOVE Janet, called back in when up another level. Talked to "Laura" she was the first that seemed to care. I told her about the flight plan filed FX352 an Airbus A300F4-600, she verifies the plane was in the air, 12 mins ETA. So, she said she sent a message to BWI, instructing the to find the package and get it to me tonight. We will see.

It blows my mind I get an update, then the 1st level supervisors tell me "no, still at memphis" I informed them of the flight plan filed with FAA, they said "nope, no such flight" NEVER SEND A LIVE ANIMAL USING FEDEX, THEY DON'T, well 99% doesnt care.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's unfortunate that you went through so much hassle. But hopefully it will be to you by tonight like she said.

All of the dragons I've bought over the years have been through FedEx and luckily I've never had an issue. Shipping animals is tricky business I'm not sure if ups or USPS even does that. But FedEx has been the standard for over a decade at least.

All that matters is your guy comes in safe. We expect pictures.... :D

-Brandon

THier220

Original Poster
Spoke with 2 folks who see to care, both were above the first level of supervisors.
Latest update after I raised hell was he is at BWI, 3rd party shipper is supposed to have him here by 9:20! Hoping so!

Dont ever listen to the lies of so called customer service, or the first level of management, go higher if you have issues, I tried being nice, that got me nowhere, so I switched to super butthole mode. They responded. I think be cause I was informed, did my home work, even ad tail number of the plane, they knew I meant business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom