Raising Money for Bearded Dragon Enclosure (Please Read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lnovak

I was not sure where to post this subject and then I found the enclosures topic. I do not know if this is appropriate to post but I am desperate. My bearded dragon is 7 months old and is still in a twenty-gallon terrarium. I know this is too small for him. That's why I am here. Buying a new terrarium with lighting to appropriately accommodate him is just too expensive for me but I do not want to get rid of him. So I am reaching out to you all. Even if you do not donate please take the time and share it with others. Thor is cramped but not unhealthy cramped. He can still move around, however, he does hit his head on the glass and glass surfs as it is called. I guess I will post the link to my GoFundMe and see where it goes. I really do appreciate any time or effort no matter the size. Thor and I will be very grateful.
https://www.gofundme.com/7y2bdd-pet-in-need

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope you're able to get a larger space for him. Have you considered building your own? That is usually the most cost effective method. If you search for instructions for building a "crossfire" enclosure, that should give you an idea about how to build a popular model from scratch. You can also repurpose old furniture if it's the correct size and shape. I suggest checking through the DIY section for some ideas. Forum members have come up with some really creative options for enclosures over the years. Good luck!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can use paypal credit to purchase a tank on some websites - I know I used it to get Hiccups tank thru Zen Habitats --- I was also gonna say shop on Facebook Marketplace a lot of people have found tanks there - but please make sure if you do happen to get one there make sure you disinfectant good w/ a good disinfectant
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lnovak":2k9u4n79 said:
I was not sure where to post this subject and then I found the enclosures topic. I do not know if this is appropriate to post but I am desperate. My bearded dragon is 7 months old and is still in a twenty-gallon terrarium. I know this is too small for him. That's why I am here. Buying a new terrarium with lighting to appropriately accommodate him is just too expensive for me but I do not want to get rid of him. So I am reaching out to you all. Even if you do not donate please take the time and share it with others. Thor is cramped but not unhealthy cramped. He can still move around, however, he does hit his head on the glass and glass surfs as it is called. I guess I will post the link to my GoFundMe and see where it goes. I really do appreciate any time or effort no matter the size. Thor and I will be very grateful.
https://www.gofundme.com/7y2bdd-pet-in-need

While you are saving for a nice big forever home (4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank) , I'd upgrade to a 149L clear plastic tub like this
https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-149l-storage-container-with-lid_p2583377
size = W:575mm H:480mm L:790mm , W = 23" H = 19" L = 32"
$19 for a 149L tub here in Australia , probably under $10 for similar sized tub in the USA.

This will be a good size for him until he's about 1 year old.

Would take less than 1 hour to convert to a rearing tank if you have an electric soldering iron and a drill-driver and the hex head screws on hand.
I advise not to use a drill to make airholes , the plastic will likely crack or split (not good), only holes I drill are in the lid to take the screws that hold the ExoTerra NanoHood firmly to the underside of the lid and I am very careful with drilling these screw holes.
See viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Be sure to check Craigslist or similar sites for deals. I have seen some crazy-cheap aquariums listed there, and you might also be able to find a really inexpensive bookshelf or cabinet that you could turn into a vivarium. That's what I did for one of mine. If you do buy a used aquarium, make sure to follow KarrieRee's advice and disinfect the heck out of it before you put your little one in it.

Lnovak

Original Poster
I appreciate all of the feedback. I will look into the different options provided. I have actually been looking into building my own enclosure but I am still researching best ways to do so.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Quickest - and how I'm planning on building two new two bay enclosure banks is to use CONNECT-IT joiners :
https://www.metalmate.com.au/connect-it/connect-it-corner-joiners
and
https://www.metalmate.com.au/connect-it-black-anodised-square-tube , any 1" x 1" square aluminium tubing will do
and to screw fix some sheets of plywood to outside edges of the connected / assembled CONNECT-IT structure.

Then all you need are some cupboard air vents (that slip into round holes and some plastic or aluminium tracks for two front sliding glass (or acrylic / Perspex) doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom