Urgent help needed rescued anorexic dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiji

Original Poster
claudiusx":383m8g0o said:
I wish you were near by, we have lots of left over baby food. You should be able to find veggie baby food. Do you have another store near by?

-Brandon
Sadly that's the best they have at the local supermarket :(

I can, however, go tomorrow to the big market and try better luck there but I'd feel bad not feeding her anything today

Any other alternative I can feed her today?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have any veges on hand and a blender? You can blend some dark leafy greens along with squash or green beans or bell pepper etc along with some water. Run it through a sieve to get the big pieces out, then run it through a clean dish cloth or similar to firm the rest up so it's about the same consistency as baby food (if you're using a syringe - it doesn't matter much otherwise). These mixes store well in the fridge so you can make them in batches.

fiji

Original Poster
CooperDragon":172uiwfm said:
Do you have any veges on hand and a blender? You can blend some dark leafy greens along with squash or green beans or bell pepper etc along with some water. Run it through a sieve to get the big pieces out, then run it through a clean dish cloth or similar to firm the rest up so it's about the same consistency as baby food (if you're using a syringe - it doesn't matter much otherwise). These mixes store well in the fridge so you can make them in batches.
Hello! thanks for the quick reply and tip, I do not have leafy greens! (We don't use them at home) I have at hand: potato, carrot, zucchini, cucumber, tomato, banana, green pepper, peach and a chunk of frozen butternut squash

What would be a nice blend combo for her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
First try cutting a bit of zucchini like this and see if she can handle some on her own.

76248-9983280538.jpg

If she can handle a little, great! Give it some time and offer a little more.

Otherwise, i'd blend a small batch of zucchini with some butternut squash, a little bit of bell pepper, and a relative tiny bit of carrot. All total you probably don't want more than a handful of ingredients then add a little bit of water at a time until you have the consistency you want (These are watery on their own so you probably won't need much).

fiji

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2480jqrt said:
First try cutting a bit of zucchini like this and see if she can handle some on her own.

76248-9983280538.jpg

If she can handle a little, great! Give it some time and offer a little more.

Otherwise, i'd blend a small batch of zucchini with some butternut squash, a little bit of bell pepper, and a relative tiny bit of carrot. All total you probably don't want more than a handful of ingredients then add a little bit of water at a time until you have the consistency you want (These are watery on their own so you probably won't need much).

Great! That's the way I cut the zucchini when I fed her yesterday, I had to open her mouth but she did eat it without spitting or vomiting
I will make the recipe and update tomorrow, good night and thanks!

fiji

Original Poster
Update: She is very active, running around and crawling, her color is a prettier golden, not dark and gray anymore, she loves climbing the box and going inside of it too, and most importantly shes loving the veggie mix blend and shes eating on her own!!

Thanks very much for these tips

20190705_143217.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Excellent! Those are all really great signs =). Just keep going slow and steady. Smaller meals at a time and I think she'll have a very good chance at bouncing back.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup, half the battle is getting them to ingest nutrients! So you're on a fast track to recovery I'd say :mrgreen:

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear that you're helping this dragon out so nicely. :) Very good signs so far, drinking + becoming active. What type of insects do you have on hand ? You can feed him a few medium insects per day since his activity level is strong, he'l need the protein. As was mentioned, just a small meal, esp. with insects.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Awww this is great little story. So glad you reached out and helped this little girl. Wishing you two the best of luck!!!! :D :) :blob8:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's been a couple days? How has she been doing? I've got my fingers crossed for good news! :mrgreen:

Have you decided on a name for her yet?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent you have gotten her to start eating on her own, amazing! She sure looked
happy there, with her veggie mix that you made her. I hope that she continues to do better,
bless her. I'm sure that she will start to gain some weight here also. Her eyes look much
happier & improved from the initial pictures that you posted on here of her.
Great job, she will hopefully continue to get better. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You don't really need all baby food. She is well hydrated now and can eat regular cut greens [ small pieces ] as well as small insects a few at a time. She's ready for real food, just in small amounts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom