You know you're a beardie owner when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
HippieLizards":2svy1tqt said:
Lol, indeed.

But you really know you're a Beardie owner when you seem to socialize with reptiles better than you do people..... :lol:

haha exactly :) or you know you’re a beardie owner when - your carrying your beardie under your shirt and they are that chilled that you had forgot they were there and you are zoned out and think crap I lost my beardie and you’re looking under and around where your sitting than you finally remembered and your heart starts beating fast like you were worried you lost something and couldn’t remember where you put it, than you finally look down and you get that sigh of relief and tell them they’re lucky and talk all soppy like nothing even happened ??? lol ???

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: I'm going to have to keep an eye on my husband because this could definitely happen at our house. He tucks the wiggly beardie under his shirt when I'm cleaning the tank -- ready made warm dark place to settle down -- then they both fall asleep in a chair. The beardie doesn't seem to mind it because he usually turns a warm happy color, so as long as one or the other of us remembers where we put him, and as long as my husband doesn't fall out of the chair, we should be ok. :)

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
you know you’re a beardie owner when -
your daily routine is -
1) turn your beardie lights on in the morning
2) give your beardie a morning hug
3) feed your beardie
4) talk to your beardie while it eats breakfast
5) lay in bed and read this website
6) pats your beardie and talk to it while no one around
7) read this website and Facebook like it’s a newspaper
8 ) feed your beardie
9) afternoon walks or drives with your beardie
10) checks this website or Facebook again
11) feed your beardie some dinner and watch tv together

:) :) :| :) :)

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
You know you're a beardie owner when you go into the pet store to buy bugs and make sure you visit each and every dragon viv. to say hi or tell them what good dragons they are, fully aware that people are looking at you like you're missing a screw :lol:. You also feel bad if there's one who has been there a while that nobody seems to want. This is "that one" from the pet store near me. He's a leatherback witblit and they want $500 US for him, which definitely limits the potential buyers. He's been there a few months now and the beardie owner in me just wants to hold him a little while and let him know that "it's okay". Hoo boy, do I need a hobby or friends! :lol: :blob8:

100140-8787282710.jpg

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
I am not being biased or judgmental when I say this - but why do all you Americans have bigger beardies than here where I am from (Australia the land where they originate from) ?? because when I look at that beardie above it looks huge to jimmia but jimmia is about 20 inches and doesn’t look as fat but he weighs about 195 grams :) so the point I’m trying say is - when you look at jimmia does he look as big like the other beardies you see? :) sorry :(

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
JIMMIA":3uqrpcdb said:
you know you’re a beardie owner when -
your daily routine is -
1) turn your beardie lights on in the morning
2) give your beardie a morning hug
3) feed your beardie
4) talk to your beardie while it eats breakfast
5) lay in bed and read this website
6) pats your beardie and talk to it while no one around
7) read this website and Facebook like it’s a newspaper
8 ) feed your beardie
9) afternoon walks or drives with your beardie
10) checks this website or Facebook again
11) feed your beardie some dinner and watch tv together

:) :) :| :) :)
lol indeed, except mine would be
1 - get woken up from a grumpy dragon scratching in their tank wanting for you to turn the sun back on.
2 - Be greeted by all your dragons with a morning stink-eye.
3 - check this website
4 - turn on YouTube or something and start cleaning out the tanks.
5 - get done cleaning all the tanks, Take a moment to relax, Only to find that One of the dragons has pooped right in the middle of the newly cleaned tank (repeat number 4 again).
6- forget that you had to do something and end up chilling with your dragon watching YouTube together. :lol:
Aaradimian":3uqrpcdb said:
You know you're a beardie owner when you go into the pet store to buy bugs and make sure you visit each and every dragon viv. to say hi or tell them what good dragons they are, fully aware that people are looking at you like you're missing a screw :lol:. You also feel bad if there's one who has been there a while that nobody seems to want. This is "that one" from the pet store near me. He's a leatherback witblit and they want $500 US for him, which definitely limits the potential buyers. He's been there a few months now and the beardie owner in me just wants to hold him a little while and let him know that "it's okay". Hoo boy, do I need a hobby or friends! :lol: :blob8:

100140-8787282710.jpg
LOL YES! I do that every single freaking time I go into a pet store, drives whoever is with me at the time crazy because we run in just to get crickets and I end up gawking at all the reptiles, Imagining what would happen if you magically rescued them all. That or Arguing with the manager about a small care flaw....... :lol:

Also, That is one Gorgeous Beardie!!!! :love10:
JIMMIA":3uqrpcdb said:
I am not being biased or judgmental when I say this - but why do all you Americans have bigger beardies than here where I am from (Australia the land where they originate from) ?? because when I look at that beardie above it looks huge to jimmia but jimmia is about 20 inches and doesn’t look as fat but he weighs about 195 grams :) so the point I’m trying say is - when you look at jimmia does he look as big like the other beardies you see? :) sorry :(
Well, He is pretty darn long, But he is a bit on the skinny side. I'd say the reason that most US dragons are much bigger is because the breeders there bred them to be bigger.

Biggest dragon x second biggest dragon = Big babies = More sales. More sales = More breeders wanting to breed big dragons, and dragons getting larger.

While as the Australia dragons have a more pure gene pool and aren't going to be as freakishly big (Normally).

That's just my guess on the reason. ?‍♀️

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
HippieLizards":3d9klnt2 said:
JIMMIA":3d9klnt2 said:
JIMMIA":3d9klnt2 said:
Well, He is pretty darn long, But he is a bit on the skinny side. I'd say the reason that most US dragons are much bigger is because the breeders there bred them to be bigger.

Biggest dragon x second biggest dragon = Big babies = More sales. More sales = More breeders wanting to breed big dragons, and dragons getting larger.

While as the Australia dragons have a more pure gene pool and aren't going to be as freakishly big (Normally).

That's just my guess on the reason. ?‍♀️

okay thank you :) so jimmia could be a mixture? I know he is a normal and not a leatherback :)

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
JIMMIA":28w9l3rj said:

No worries mate. Fair dinkum! (I think I have that right?) :)

You know how the stereotypes go with Americans tending toward "plus sized"? Well, maybe we feed our beardies the same way we feed ourselves... too much, too often. :lol: More sobering, though, I do sometimes wonder if all the junk we dump in our water- pesticides, pharmaceuticals, industrial runoff, hormones, etc., isn't in some way messing with our bodies. By extension, maybe our beardies are experiencing something similar? Don't know, but I suspect in 100+ years they may look back at what we're doing now with the same shock as when we look back at the grimy, sooty, toxic Industrial Era.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It may also be because there is a beardie breed called "German Giants" which have been selectively bred to be larger, and more of those may be available in the United States (as well as in Germany) than in Australia.

It's my understanding that Australia has some pretty strict laws about exporting wild animals and about keeping them as pets, although I'm not sure what their rules are about imports, so it may be that the larger beardies are not available in your area. I also understand that there is a smaller species of bearded dragon (genus Pogona), "Rankin's," if I remember correctly, (as opposed to Pogona vitticeps, the typical species) that may be be more common where you live. That would be my guess as to why you're more used to seeing little ones in Australia. :?

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
you know you’re a beardie owner when ——->
you take your bearded dragon to the film cinema to watch “The Lion King” like how our parents took us to see it as a young child lol :) aka proud parent moment as I don’t have any children of my own yet haha :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So did he appear to enjoy the movie?

Our beardie used to show some interest in the TV. Light and color and sound, but I'm not sure how he perceived it. :? Nowadays I can cuddle him while watching TV, and he usually just goes to sleep. :sleepy2:

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
When the guy at the local ace hardware knows your name because you've returned so many light bulbs lol

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Seriously. If you have a UV meter, you quickly find out that not all UV bulbs are created equal, and some of them just don't make the grade. Back to the store they go until the folks at the store get sick of seeing you. :roll:

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
SHBailey":2l8sluss said:
So did he appear to enjoy the movie?

Our beardie used to show some interest in the TV. Light and color and sound, but I'm not sure how he perceived it. :? Nowadays I can cuddle him while watching TV, and he usually just goes to sleep. :sleepy2:

I’m guessing he enjoyed it, I know I did, I just had him on my shoulder and lap, he was probably more interested in the noises :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom